Rick Shrader's Reviews > Old Paths: Being Plain Statements On Some Of The Weightier Matters Of Christianity

Old Paths by J.C. Ryle

I have always enjoyed studying from Ryle’s Expository Thoughts on the Gospels and have wanted to read this long treatise for a while. John Charles Ryle (1816-1900) was bishop Liverpool and an evangelical within the Church of England. If the reader can discern the obvious references to that church polity and doctrine, he can greatly enjoy the straightforward style common in that day. Ryle’s own description of the book is, “The longer I live the more I am convinced that the world needs no new Gospel, as some profess to think. I am thoroughly persuaded that the world need nothing but a bold, full, unflinching teaching of the ‘old paths.’ The heart of man is the same in every age. The spiritual medicine which it requires is always the same.” The book has 19 long chapters and can become tedious so I would suggest reading it over a long period of time, perhaps a chapter a week or month when you have time to sit and digest. It will be worth it.

See my blog for over 600 other book reviews

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Old Paths.

August 13, 2014 – Started Reading