Margrét's Reviews > The Book of Lost Things

The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly

May 12, 2010

bookshelves: read-in-english, read-in-2011, young-adult, fantasy
Recommended for: People who love fairy tales, people who like stories about growing up

Some aspects of this book I really liked, others I didn't.

Even though I can imagine how he feels, I could not relate very well to David's problems and felt that his struggles with his stepmother would have been more appropriate in a children's book, and this book was just too gruesome for me to ever recommend it to a child.

Although I didn't dislike the writing style, I was somehow too aware of it and I felt that the author was almost sitting next to me as I read the book. This book is very gripping and the author certainly knows what he is doing. But at times I feel that it is just too well made, like a very well written essay, while missing a certain something that could have made the story more special.

With that said, I quite enjoyed it and it was different from what I've read before, despite being so thoroughly similar at the same time. It's very sinister and creepy and I won't forget it any time soon.

I'm interested in fairy tales and I found it fascinating how Connolly used them in this story. In the last 150 pages of my edition of the book, the fairy tales mentioned were printed and the author commented on why he used them and how they related to David. I found this very interesting and it was fun to read those stories again.

Edit: It's been almost two years since I read this book, but I haven't been able to stop thinking about it since, so I'm bumping up the rating to 4 stars.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Lost Things.

May 12, 2010 – Shelved