Chris (The Genre Fiend)'s Reviews > Snow Crash

Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson

If it weren't for the info-dump spanning most of the second act, this'd easily nail five stars. Neal Stephenson is an exceptional writer, the characters and setting are well-realised, and the book irreverently flicks the ears of a number of stupid real world concepts (Scientology chief among them). The opening hundred pages, introducing Hiro, Y.T. and the world of the near-future was some of best cyberpunk material I've ever read.

Conversely, I more than understand why there are those put off by the Sumerian element. Hiro's prolonged chat with the Librarian throughout the second act - on Enki, nam-shubs and metaviruses - was interesting from an academic perspective, but presented in a muddy narrative fashion. If you need to take that long to establish what (eventually) ends up being the story's core conceit, I feel you need to find a smoother way to introduce it to your audience. I consider myself a fairly intelligent guy, but I was mostly left adrift throughout that section.

That is, until *another* info-dump shortly afterwards puts everything into focus. While it definitely makes the third act far more enjoyable, I think something's not quite right if you need a second info-dump to balance the narrative deficiencies of the first.

But in the end, Snow Crash is fantastic. Despite the rather abrupt ending, it was a memorable journey into postcyberpunk. I'm keen to see more of what Stephenson can do.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Snow Crash.

August 13, 2014 – Shelved