Ryelor's Reviews > The Burning Bridge

The Burning Bridge by John Flanagan

May 12, 2010

it was ok
Read in January, 2010

I tried to give this series a fair shot, I really did. After the first book I wasn't convinced but figured that a lot of series get better as the story advances. Unfortunately, I enjoyed this novel less than the first one. Granted, the concept of rangers was very appealing, and I really wanted to lose myself in the novel, but for some reason I could not get into Falanagan's writing style or the way he forms his prose. His writing has a very "spoken" quality to it, meaning it reads as if he related the story out loud and then transcribed it word for word as it was originally spoken. This might appeal to some, but did not appeal to me.

I don't doubt Flanagan has fans. The story and ideas are intriguing and he adds interesting information about why rangers do what they do. However, there were many parts of the story that I felt were forced, Will's supposed romance, for example, as if Flanagan went through his novel once he was finished and decided to plug it in, just to appeal to his teenage female readers.

My suggestion, if you are looking for a well-written, enjoyable fantasy that is easy to read and has endearing, believable characters, read The Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Burning Bridge.

Jordan Link I really think you should continue. This was the worst book out of the ENTIRE series--it does get better.

Ryelor You're probably right. Lots of series get better with time. I might give it a second go one of these days. How about his other series, I think it's called Brotherhood?

Jordan Link Haven't read it--but I heard it doesn't have the same characters =/

Cooper The brotherhood books are good. Slightly disappointing that it doesn't have the same characters, except for Erak, but I have a suspicion that they might come in at some point. Haven't read book 3 yet, but I recommend this series.

message 5: by Ryan (new)

Ryan well they do indeed get better. but you will find the third book is pointless. BUT, the fourth is pretty much action for one fourth to one third of the book and i liked it the fifth is like the second the sixth is really good, and the seventh is OK the *th is good but had a stupid ending.

message 6: by Ryan (new)

Ryan sorry i meant 8th i hit the shift key

Ryelor Can you read them out of order? For example, if I ever wanted to give it another try could I skip to the fourth book and know what is going on or do I have to read the third first?

message 8: by Ryan (new)

Ryan you have to read the third it is a big story line book. but i would not recommend it except read the 7th then 5th then 6th then 8th because the 7th goes back in time before the 5th and 6th

Ryelor Cool. Thanks!

message 10: by Ryan (new)

Ryan hey just to make you want to read them more the most epic thing in the series so far happens in the sixth

message 11: by Joshua (new) - added it

Joshua Keep reading it!! I REALLY didn't like this book. It gets MUCH better. Trust me.

Brayden Johnson I recommend that you read at least one more book in the series. because the story gets better after the 1st 2 books there's a lot more action and plot twists so give it another chance.

message 13: by Paula (new) - added it

Paula they are sort of paired, so u can read 1 & 2, 3&4, 5&6, 7 stands alone and is chronologically before 5. 8&9, 10, 11, 12. if u read the last three out oforder, they won't make sense. brotherband is good. particularly book three. need to read first two though.

Makayla and Jackson Sears Ya know if yer gonna write a review on this book be positive because this is goodreads and the author of this book could be reading this ya big turd