Adriana B's Reviews > The Dark and Hollow Places

The Dark and Hollow Places by Carrie Ryan

May 12, 2010

bookshelves: 2011-books, best-books-ever, completed-series

Zombies seem to be the new vampires now. They're everywhere: movies, tv shows, and books. With vampires it got so big that it got a little tiring reading/hearing about them all the time. That very well could happen with zombies.
That's almost how I felt going into this book. I know for a fact Carrie Ryan can write a great adrenaline inducing story but since the last two were similar (in the sense that two girls were trying to survive a zombie infested world) I was a little worried that this would be a re-hash.
While that was a major aspect of the book, Annah's voice made it so different. Sometimes with first-person perspective books from the same author the protagonists can seem very simmilar in voice. This was not the case with Annah and her sister Gabry (main character in The Dead-Tossed Waves) They were so different! Gabry had come from a place where she was safe and taken care of her whole life. This made her a little naive and sheltered. Annah, on the other hand, has had to take care of herself for years. This plus her own internal demons made her a character you really felt for.
As usual with Ryan's writing this book was extremely dark and almost depressing at times. It was the perfect book for Halloween with all the intense zombie scenes!
Something that really made this stand out from the others was the fact that the zombies aren't the only enemies. It is sad to leave this world, dark as it was, but I feel satisfied how it ended. Although I would definetly welcome another one!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dark and Hollow Places.