Dani's Reviews > Eden at the Edge of Midnight

Eden at the Edge of Midnight by John  Kerry

Aug 12, 2014

liked it
bookshelves: books-i-won, adventure, fantasy, fiction, dystopia, sagas

I've won this book on a giveaway. Thanks to John Kerry for sending the book.

Eden at the Edge of Midnight is a very innovative fantasy novel. I'm sure that it would deserve a 5-star rating if it were not for some usual paths of fantasy present on it.

Sammy Ellis is a teenage girl that doesn't seem to fit in. She starts to notice a strange old woman is following her. One day, she decides to find out what she wants. The old woman gives her a bracelet with a big green emerald and a dial. The woman, named Esther, says she needs Sammy to find out how the dial works but she warns her by telling her not to try until they meet again.

Do you now what happens next? Well, Sammy disobeys and is transported to Persopia, a very unique realm, plagued with mushrooms, smog and weird creatures.

The first thing that bothered me was the excessive use of precious gems as portals through different worlds or any other types of magic artifacts. It's a very common explanation in fantasy to use gems. I can't see why, because I don't give a damn about them.

The whole world building was amazing, though. Original and precise. The descriptions of the creatures that inhabit Persopia were perfectly made, so perfect you almost think those creature are real flesh-and-bone animals. Eden at the Edge of Midnight has everything: manticores, walking dinosaurs, pterodactyls, crabmen, etc.

One of the characters is Louis, a gastrosaur that carries a cottage on its back and communicates with humans by moving its ears. Louis is one of the most astonishing and fresh characters I've met in a while.

The prose is wonderful. I liked how tiny bits of poetry were intercalated through the novel as riddles or enigmatic information.

A few plot twists were completely unexpected. I liked how a few characters were so cryptic you can't never know what they are going to do or who they really are.

The main character, Sammy, bothered me sometimes though. She apparently has a lot of power but she is stupid and naive. How can someone so dumb have so much power and great abilities?

Oh, and finally, there's a young adult book where the parents of the main character exist. That was great.

The ending was nice but... John Kerry, I hope you are working on the second installment of The Vara Chronicles! I'm so intrigued.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eden at the Edge of Midnight.

August 12, 2014 – Shelved
August 12, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
August 12, 2014 – Shelved as: books-i-won
December 29, 2014 – Started Reading
page 11
3.16% "Everything is so cryptic... I don't have a clue about what's happening here."
page 27
7.76% "Things revealed too early for my taste."
page 33
9.48% "I like Behnam..."
page 66
18.97% "It is getting more interesting now."
December 31, 2014 –
page 87
page 125
page 136
39.08% "What is exactly happening here!?"
page 146
page 175
50.29% "It's getting better and better. It's a shame that some things at the beginning didn't work out for me."
page 186
53.45% "A reference to Rorschach, from Watchmen! I'm dying of eternal love."
page 216
62.07% "I'm thrilled now."
page 221
63.51% ""(...)She knew she shouldn't be ungrateful after acquiring a superpower, but super-reading?...""
page 250
71.84% "Mmm... no, rocks are not heavier than mushrooms because their atoms are. Not necessarily."
page 258
74.14% "Well, I hadn't seen that coming."
page 263
75.57% "But, but... I know he's good. He can't be evil D:"
January 3, 2015 –
page 348
100.0% "He better be writing the second book!"
January 3, 2015 – Shelved as: adventure