C.G. Drews's Reviews > The Incredible Adventures of Cinnamon Girl

The Incredible Adventures of Cinnamon Girl by Melissa Keil

bookshelves: 5-star, best-of-2015, aussie-authors, contemporary, read-2015, foodie-fiction

I'm just going to go ahead and be lame but: THE INCREDIBLE ADVENTURES OF CINNAMON GIRL WAS INCREDIBLE. Basically, that is all. I cannot even explain how much I love this book. Wait. NO. I will try to explain because I want every single person in the history of ever to go read it noooooow.

It's about deciding what to do with your life. Which is a hugely important topic that I think most teens struggle with and freak out about. School has just finished. Life stretches before us. Do you move out or stay home? I really really connected to this topic because I'm always deciding and re-deciding what I want to do with my life. For some people it's easy but for Alba, IT'S HARD.

Which brings me to how awesome Alba is. She's absolutely incredible. (Oh come on, you knew I was going to say that.) She's not skinny (HUZZAH) and she's got a big personality. She loves people and talking and she's always yabbering away. She's also an insanely good artist and she's addicted to comics. Everything is a comic reference. Can I just pause a moment and say how much I loooove this?! I love comics (although I'm nowhere near as into it as Alba). ALSO SHE LOVES FOOD. She's not afraid of food. She works in a bakery and makes gorgeous things to eat and omg this book made me hungry.

It's all about friendship too. Especially that horrible moment when you realise your life is going to separate you from your childhood friends. (Again! Been there! It's so relatable! Sometimes I think this book was written for me!) I was a little confused at first, because we basically get introduced to Alba's clique in a BANG. And woah. It was a little intense. But by the end of the story everyone was such an individual and wonderful and totally life-like. These are people you'd bump into in the street. I loved Eddie even though he was kind of gross, but he had a good heart. And Tia and Petey were cute, and really realistic with their unsureness about their relationship. And Caroline was sweet and possibly gay. Daniel (the returning friend from the past) was a jerk and he rubbed me the wrong way the second he entered (I didn't like him, no). And OMG CAN WE TALK ABOUT GRADY?!! Grady and Alba are best friends since childhood. They. are. adorable. And totally "just friends". Haaaaaa. Obviously Alba is as thick as a mudcake on this topic and Grady is so in love with her BUT HE WON'T SAY ANYTHING BECAUSE HE THINKS SHE DOESN'T LIKE HIM IN THAT WAY.

*hyperventilates*

Peoples? Meet my new and most fervent OTP. I have not shipped a ship this hard in a LONG TIME. I'm going to explode. My love for them was just astronomical. And they were pushing each other away and sooking and getting into moods and the angst was so strung. I could feel it. My soul was in knots.
description

Basically the writing was 100% perfect. It wasn't fast moving, but it was so epically detailed. Not with purple prose, but with legit gorgeous scrumptious detail. It made a lot of old-movie references and comic references that I didn't get. (Oops.) But that didn't affect my enjoyment. It sucked me out of my bedroom and INTO Eden Valley. It's so vivid. I was in this story. Usually I'm checking the clock as I read, but this? I WAS SO GONE. I WAS JUST INTO IT.

New life goal: to write as well as Melissa Keil.

Characters are my favourite thing in books, and these were PERFECTION. I just...oh wow. I loved them so much. I can't even begin to describe how much this book means to me. It's lodged in my heart. I borrowed it from the library, but I need a copy. I just so need a copy. It captures the angst and confusion of growing up and making the decisions so perfectly.

Oh and I nearly forgot, but it's not really an apocalypse book. It's one of those things were some lame prophet dude predicts the end of the world and that Eden Valley (where the book is set) is going to be the last "safe place". You can smell a rat a mile away. But it does bring up really important questions like who would you spend your "last days with"? And questions like that, which so fit the story.

So incredible book is incredible. GO READ IT. It's so Australian and there are so many feels and the tension is SO HIGH and the food is so delicious. JUST DON'T COOK WITH STRAWBERRIES.

*ships Gralba aggressively*

***

"But can't I have a few beers with a pretty girl, and dance with my best friend? If I'm going to die, it might as well be while I'm dancing."
"Grady. Only you could face the end of the world with a Pinterest slogan."

It's not like I've never thought about leaving Eden Valley. But visions of my fabulous adult life usually involved sharing a light-filled artist's loft with Ramona Fradon, or building my own Iron Man suit. I guess it's easy to dream about things that are abstract, or impossible.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Incredible Adventures of Cinnamon Girl.

August 12, 2014 – Shelved
August 12, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
March 18, 2015 – Started Reading
March 19, 2015 –
page 200
67.8% "If Grady and Alba don't get together, I swear, I'm going to STAB MY FACE WITH A BOOK."
March 19, 2015 – Shelved as: 5-star
March 19, 2015 – Shelved as: best-of-2015
March 19, 2015 – Shelved as: aussie-authors
March 19, 2015 – Shelved as: contemporary
March 19, 2015 – Shelved as: read-2015
March 19, 2015 – Finished Reading
July 28, 2016 – Shelved as: foodie-fiction

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

message 1: by Vlora (new) - added it

Vlora Well that decides it. I'm so reading this book. Your review already convinced me, but then I read the quotes and they're perfection.

C.G. Drews You won't regret it. I promise. It's perfection. (Also adorableness.)

Valerie ahh I've wanted to read this so badly but because it's Australian I've been having a hard time finding a copy. :P I WILL CHECK AMAZON

message 4: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Cait, where you known as Cait Grace in the past? I seem to remember that you were. If you were, your review of this book (a couple of lines) has been included in the front of the newest paperback edition of the book. It caught my eye yesterday. Sorry, if this not you at all.

message 5: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Excuse the error - 'were you' not 'where'!

C.G. Drews @Debbie: Ah yes, I was Debbie! I changed from "Cait Grace" to put the "paperfury" in there so people would know I was from my blog paperfury.com BUT OMG I SO HONOURED AND STOKED!! Someone tweeted me picture a few days ago and fajsdkald this is like the best thing of ever. I clearly need to buy the reprint. XDXD

message 7: by Debbie (new)

Debbie You definitely need to get yourself a copy! I was so excited to see your name there, as I follow your reviews. Well done!