Serena Yates's Reviews > Duck!

Duck! by Kim Dare

bookshelves: gay, bdsm-and-d-s, shifters
Read 2 times. Last read August 4, 2010.

This is one of the most amazing stories I have read in a long time. It takes the well-known tale of the Ugly Duckling and not only conveys its original meaning in a "modern day" setting, but adds another layer of interpretation in a domination/submission context.

Where do I even start? The world-building is excellent, with an avian shifter culture that is fresh, believable and utterly fascinating. The plot, even though well known, is put into a new perspective with a fascinating twist at the end that takes its message beyond the original. The language and descriptions are vivid and enjoyable, words and expressions an avian culture might use are integral to the way the characters think and speak. The domination/submission aspects are handled with care and sensitivity.

As for the characters? They held me spellbound. Ori, the duckling shifter, is so lost and lovable in his search for what species exactly he might be when he grows up, you just have to love him. He has all the traits we think of when we hear "duck", except he is a human struggling with his role in life. Raynard, the hawk shifter, is the quintessential strong and responsible Dom, who sees the world in terms of hunter and prey, but has a lot of potential for caring inside him that he isn't even aware of. Both of them have to learn a lot as they teach each other what it is they each need in a relationship, and, ultimately, what their roles are in life and in the avian shifter community.

I thought this was a stunning read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Duck!.

May 12, 2010 – Shelved
Started Reading
August 4, 2010 – Finished Reading
Started Reading (Other ebook Edition)
August 13, 2015 – Shelved (Other ebook Edition)
August 13, 2015 – Finished Reading (Other ebook Edition)

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Stef (new) - added it

Stef I saw Kim's blog about it the other day and thought it looked good. Guess it's moving up on the must read list. :)

Serena Yates Stef wrote: "I saw Kim's blog about it the other day and thought it looked good. Guess it's moving up on the must read list. :)"

It's quite a long one, too, Stef. Much longer than Kim's usual stories, and I wasn't able to put it down, so you might want to start it when you have a chunk of time available... it's so worth it!

Serena

Justina Johnson Wow.

You not only express your total appreciation of this story and author, you make this book come alive without giving away any of the plot.

I'm sure the book is a great read just by the way you reviewed it. I am very impressed by both you and the book.

Serena Yates Justina wrote: "Wow.

I'm sure the book is a great read just by the way yo..."

Thanks for your kind words, Justina. I really appreciate hearing that my review helped you understand what the book is like (which is amazing!).

Serena