Guillaume Belanger's Reviews > Grain Brain: The Surprising Truth about Wheat, Carbs, and Sugar--Your Brain's Silent Killers

Grain Brain by David Perlmutter

Very good health book. It is clearly written and convincing, especially coming from a well-read, 30-year practicing neurologist with a lot of first hand experience. What's the main point? Sugar, starches and gluten, besides being metabolically damaging, also damage the brain in more ways than we previously thought. What are the main causes of neurological and brain degradation? Chronic inflammation, glycation and the neuro-toxic effects of gluten. What are the most important brain and nerve safeguards? Eat no sugars, starches and grains; eat lots of fat, especially coconut oil; sleep 8-10 hours per night; and exercise regularly.
The book is written for the general public ignorant of the damaging effects of insulin-stimulating carbs, and although Perlmutter is definitely very well informed and competent in what pertains to neurology, nerves and the brain, he does not discuss some other fundamentally important elements of health like optimal hydration, unrefined salt, and, maybe the most important for sustained health, pH balance towards the alkaline.
The diet he recommends is Atkin's or Rosedale's diet---very low carb, high fat, moderate protein---without any noticeable differences, except that he emphasises the importance of saturated fats and in particular coconut oil, which Rosedale doesn't.
I enjoyed and appreciated learning several new, mostly specific, things from my reading of this book and from experts such as Perlmutter. For example, I didn't appreciate the severity of the neurotoxic effects of gluten before reading this book. I therefore strongly recommend it. Nonetheless, I emphasise that it is the synthesis of knowledge acquired from all experts such as Perlmutter, who almost always concentrate on one or a small number of well-defined aspects of health, that leads to deeper and more fundamental insights into the nature of health, which remains my primary motivation and goal as far as health matters are concerned.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grain Brain.

August 11, 2014 – Started Reading