Scarlett Sims's Reviews > The Good Girl

The Good Girl by Mary Kubica

Aug 11, 2014

liked it
bookshelves: audio, contemporary, drama, leisure, thriller

I imagine that in some ways, this book is trying to capitalize on the success of Gone Girl, as it uses a few of the same tropes: alternating narrators, and a division of events into before/after. One interesting narrative device is the way the novel jumps in time chronologically, so that we see things unfold out of order. I also think the multiple narrators provided a useful way of showing the story through everyone's eyes but the victims.

I listened to this on audio and the narration was fantastic. Each narrator had a different voice actor and they all were superb, their acting showing perfectly how they perceived the events and characters.

My biggest complaint, and the reason this is only a three-star, is just that it wasn't very exciting. Not that a book has to be exciting for me to like it, but when I see something described as a thriller, I expect there to be a bit more mystery. I kinda could see coming what was really going on, but that might just be a side effect of reading a lot of books.

I could see giving this to a mid/older teen, like maybe if they aren't ready for Gone Girl yet? I don't remember anything too objectionable or graphic (there may have been a few curse words but not as pervasively as Gone Girl) and the resolution wouldn't seem too obvious to someone who hasn't read as many books yet.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Good Girl.

August 11, 2014 – Shelved