Angie's Reviews > Rules of Protection

Rules of Protection by Alison Bliss

bookshelves: comp-copy, kindle-read

How on earth can this be her first book??!! I received a copy of this book from the publisher for an honest review. Actually, they sent me this accidentally and then sent me the one they meant for me to read. After reading the other first and it being just ok, I decided to give this one a shot as a bonus. O. M. G. I'm so glad, because I needed a really good book to make up for some meh-type books lately.

I am a huge fan of Rachel Gibson, Susan Elizabeth Phillips, and Jennifer Crusie. I love their sense of humor, snappy dialogue and how they're able to simultaneously weave in a serious suspense or mystery and make it all work. This book has all that and I'm stunned this is her first published book.

I loved Emily's sense of humor and wit and how she used humor and sarcasm as her defense mechanism. The only thing that irked me during the whole story was when Jake would do the same. So many times he cut her down by saying she was irresponsible, immature, or selfish. Considering her situation and background, I really didn't see it to the level he took it. So many times I wanted her to walk away or make him understand how hateful and cruel he could be with his words. Also, was it my imagination or did we ever know "Emily's" real name before she was put under witness protection?? Once she was given the name Emily, I immediately thumbed back to the beginning to see if it was revealed. Since the story is from her perspective, we never did learn it - so clever!

I can't wait for her next story, and I'm crossing my fingers Ms. Bliss stays in this world and we see one of Jake's Texas friends - Cowboy, Judd, Gina, or even Bobbie Jo.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rules of Protection.

Started Reading
August 10, 2014 – Shelved
August 10, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)

MsChris1161 Excellent review! Thanks

message 2: by Alison (new) - added it

Alison Bliss Thank you so much for the outstanding review!

Madiha J Bookblogger nice review. but hey did they mention Emily's first name in the book before that incident?

Angie At the time I went back to check and never did find it. If it was there, I totally missed it.

message 5: by Alison (new) - added it

Alison Bliss Hi, ladies! I hope it's okay that I answer the question. Emily's real name was never actually mentioned throughout the entire book. :)

Angie Aha - confirmed! I really liked that angle! This was a great book and I look forward to your next!

message 7: by Alison (new) - added it

Alison Bliss Thank you so much, Angie!! Can't wait to share the rest of the series with you! Btw, I really loved the review you wrote up on Rules of Protection! It's one of my favorites and made me smile so much! :)

message 8: by Kat (new)

Kat Valentine Excellent review Angie!💖😉

Angie Kat wrote: "Excellent review Angie!💖😉" Thank you, Kat!