Mili's Reviews > What Happened to Goodbye

2035022
May 11, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: 2011

I miss the Sarah Dessen who wrote This Lullaby and The Truth About Forever. What happened?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Happened to Goodbye.

May 11, 2010 – Shelved
September 4, 2011 – Started Reading
September 5, 2011 –
page 192
46.15% "A bit slow but good. Can't hate on a Sarah Dessen book."
September 12, 2011 –
page 330
September 14, 2011 – Shelved as: 2011
September 14, 2011 – Finished Reading

Shyra i noe a! i just love her bookz

Mari ooooooh i wanna know how this is, it looks good!

Shyra I read it. It's awesome!

justcallmetatii I love all her book

message 5: by Hannah (new)

Hannah I so agree I love her writing but, Just listen and This Lullaby had so much more meaning. The stories are getting repetitive.

Hannah Agreed, I honestly can't remember if I've read this or not because the story description seems so familiar but I don't remember those characters....

Alexandra Not sure what you mean by that, please explain! :-)

Alicia I agree with you there. Not that I dislike her other books, but Hannah hit the nail on the head: the stories seem so repetitive that I can't remember which I've read. I do like her writing and will keep reading, but I'd like to read something different from her.

Jade:) Hey, Mila or anyone. I have read this book and Lock and Key and Along for the Ride. Does it matter what order you read these books in because you seemed to have read the truth about forever before your read this one. Anyone want to hellp me out? :)

message 10: by Mili (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mili It doesn't really matter in what order you read them. Her books aren't in a series. However I always like to read from oldest to newest. In my opinion her first books are way better than her latest releases.

message 11: by Mili (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mili Really? They seem repetitive to me. Well, everyone has different tastes.

message 12: by Mili (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mili I love Sarah Dessen but I wish she would just step out of her comfort zone and give us something different for a while. My favorite is This Lullaby, but I also love The Truth About Forever and Dreamland. Which one is your favorite?

message 13: by Mili (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mili You should definitely read them, they won't disappoint :)

Alexandra This Lullaby and The Truth about Forever, were the first books I read by her and they are still two of my favorite books. I do like this book though. It made me happy haha and I guess I like to fall back on books that just quench my happy romance feel.

Jenna Is Defriese, the U, or Lakeview real?

Alexandra I'm pretty sure all the places are from her imagination... at least when reading the summary of her new book it says something about how the town of Colby was fictional.

message 17: by Scott (new)

Scott I have read all her books in order, and if you pay attention you'll see that while they are not part of a series, Sarah weaves a parallel universe. This especially came through in What Happened To Goodbye. The town of Colby and the Last Chance diner (Keeping The Moon), Heidi and Thisbe (Along For The Ride), Gervais (Lock And Key), Lakeview-Jackson High-Perkins Day (well, all of them).

message 18: by Scott (new)

Scott Jenna wrote: "Is Defriese, the U, or Lakeview real?"

Defriese is a thinly veiled Duke University, the U is definitely University of North Carolina, and Lakeview is a fictional "anytown" or "any neighborhood".

message 19: by Kaylah (new)

Kaylah Mila: Really? They seem repetitive to me.

I agree. It seems like the same events happen in every book. The main character has been just getting by after some sort of tragedy; She meets a guy who finally makes her happy; Their relationship ends; She's not recovering; They make up. I'll still read her books and I think they are great but, yes, I think they are repetitive...

Miranda i agree with her i love the romance between Remy and Dexter and Macy and Wes where is that in this book?

message 21: by Vy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Vy exactly! her newer books don't have the same luster.

message 22: by Ana (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ana Siordia I really love Sarah Dessen and all her books! I finished What Happened to Goodbye just like five-minutes-ago and I only have a question ¿where's the romance?

message 23: by Mili (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mili Ana wrote: "I really love Sarah Dessen and all her books! I finished What Happened to Goodbye just like five-minutes-ago and I only have a question ¿where's the romance?"

That's exactly what I thought...

message 24: by Fawn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Fawn 2000 I loved What Happened to Goodbye.! I thought that it was a really good book, but then again it was the first Sarah Dessen book that I've ever read. So I now want to read This Lullabye, thanks for the recommendation!

Teriana What do do you mean by that? Please elaborate on it.

message 26: by Fawn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Fawn 2000 Me? Or Mily???

message 27: by Fawn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Fawn 2000 It's probably Mily. It wouldn't make sense if it were me.

booklover101 I agree, this book didn't keep me very intrigued unlike other books that I have read. But this also was the first book that I have read that was written by Sarah Dessen and to tell you the truth I was disappointed, but Im going to see if any of her other books spark my interest.

Kaylee The truth about forever is her best book in my opinion!

message 30: by MK (new) - rated it 4 stars

MK I do agree that What Happened To Goodbye wasn't as good as ones like "Lock and Key" or "This Lullaby" but I still think it was really good