Sharon's Reviews > The Devil Wears Prada

May 11, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: popular_fiction
Read in May, 2010

I started this book because (1) I'd seen the movie, (2) it caused such a sensation, and (3) my husband brought home a discarded library copy. I finished the book because I wanted to see if the narrator/main character became less annoying through the experiences recounted in the novel. The answer, of course, is 'no'. In fact, I'm recommending this book to my co-workers at the selective liberal arts college where I work because the attitude of the narrator/main character typifies that of many of our students.

There is no doubt that the editor-in-chief character, the narrator's boss and tormentor, is an unreasonably demanding, nasty person. Somehow the narrator's co-workers seem to manage to cope with the editor's demands and survive, but the narrator herself, like so many of her generation, cannot cope with people who don't see her as the 'special, gifted' person she is. I found myself annoyed rather than amused by her petty attempts to show her disdain for the work she is supposed to be doing. Yes, much of the work--arranging for cleaning, fetching coffee, serving lunch--does not require an Ivy-educated assistant, but it is the assistant's job. The narrator, whose sense of entitlement is clear throughout the book, refuses to do her tasks efficiently and move on; she refuses to recognize that her attempts to rebel just make her life more difficult. And when, in fairy-tale fashion, everything turns out for the best, it just seems to reinforce her own sense of self-worth. She really hasn't learned anything about life in the working world.

Needless to say, none of this is in the movie.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devil Wears Prada.