Jen (That's What I'm Talking About)'s Reviews > Web of Lies

Web of Lies by Jennifer Estep

Aug 10, 2014

bookshelves: audiobooks, elemental-assassin, urban-fantasy

The second title in Ms. Estep's well-crafted Elemental Assassin series continues the story of Gin Blanco, now retired assassin. This time around, Gin finds herself being threatened by Jake McAllister, son of notorious attorney Jonah McAllister, after she foils his robbery attempt at the Pork Pit. In addition, Gin feels compelled to help Warren Fox, long-time friend of her deceased foster father. With so much on Gin's plate, the assassin in Gin's soul isn't resting easy.

WEB OF LIES picks up only a month or so after the conclusion of the first book. I am pleased with the amount of character growth in Gin as she learns more about her past and reaches deep within to see her true self. I really enjoyed the main plot line which follows Gin and her attempts to help Warren Fox. I can tell that with each book, I will slowly start to see the Gin I know and love from reading the later books.

One thing that did start to annoy me after while was the amount of repetition in the story: small phrases here and there, names and events, repeated sometimes three, four, and five times throughout the book. I did not reduce my rating of the book because of it (this time), but it was very noticeable. I don't know if there is actually more repetition in this book than subsequent titles, or if I'm only noticing it because I'm listening to the book, but I look forward to listening to future titles to see if I notice the same thing.

One thing I absolutely loved was the dynamic between Gin and Owen Grayson. Having read future titles and knowing what becomes of both individuals, I had a smile on my face every time Mr. Grayson made an appearance.

The narration of the title by Lauren Fortgang was once again spot on. I found Gin's voice to be exactly as I imagined, ranging from hard edged assassin, to warn-out fighter, to introspective soul. I especially enjoyed how the narrator altered her voice for every character. I found that Owen Grayson is my new favorite (other than Gin).

My Rating for the story: A-
My Rating for the narration: A

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Web of Lies.

August 10, 2014 – Started Reading
August 10, 2014 – Shelved
August 10, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
August 10, 2014 – Shelved as: audiobooks
August 10, 2014 – Shelved as: elemental-assassin
August 10, 2014 – Shelved as: urban-fantasy
August 13, 2014 –
August 15, 2014 –
58.0% "Oops... They did it again!"
August 21, 2014 –