Christopher Lawson's Reviews > Act Like Men: 40 Days to Biblical Manhood

Act Like Men by James MacDonald

liked it

√ Solid Teaching, Dull, Preachy

This book has a very wide focus. It covers a LOT of different issues that men face. ACT LIKE MEN provides excellent, biblical advice for each of them. The broad focus comes at a cost, however. It is difficult to read this book and clearly recall the key points--there are just so many ideas, all over the map.

Although ACT LIKE MEN is solid teaching, it does not make for captivating reading. Maybe because we are in a culture of ultra short attention spans. We watch "24" on television, where a new terrorist act happens ever 2 minutes. I found the writing style overly wordy and overly preachy. I admit it--I don't really want to be preached at.

Some of the stories are tales in the life of a young pastor. Nothing at all wrong with that, but those stories seem unlikely to really grab at the heart of the reader.

The fact that there needs to be a detailed section, "How to Get the Most from Act Like Men" illustrates the problem. How can a narrative make an impact if it's not clear how to even read the book?

Rev MacDonald points out that men simply don't read much, and so the author is "writing this book with the wild goal that men who can't remember the last book they opened and don't plan to read in the future, would take the time to read this." I think the author's point is true, but honestly, I don't think this book till help to alleviate that.

√ There are lots of excellent points in this book. Alas, I don't think many men will see them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Act Like Men.

Finished Reading