C.G. Drews's Reviews > If I Stay

If I Stay by Gayle Forman

bookshelves: 5-star, contemporary, read-2014, young-adult

I got goose bumps. I teared up. MULTIPLE TIMES. What even is this? I am a Vulcan! I am stoic! I am strong!
Apparently not. I am a mess. I am teary.
description

This is a crazy good book and it's beautiful and it's heartbreaking. I only recommend it, possibly, one thousand percent. I seriously do. not. cry. when I'm reading. NEVER EVER! And, okay, no tears escaped, but I got close to breaking down. The writing is glorious and tangible and I felt so involved in the story the entire time.

(I also listened to it on audio. I loved how between chapters there were bits of cellos playing.)

I related so so much to Mia. At times it was...disconcerting. Mia plays the cello (so do I) and people often comment she's too small for it (they say that to me too) and Mia is quiet and series and studious (moi) and Mia has a crazily adorable boyfriend named Adam (okay, here the similarities stop). Writing a book about music is SO hard. But the author pulled it off. She made me feel the music in these 200-pages. I didn't want the book to stop. I loved Mia and I cried for her pain and I understood her thought process.
description

AND IT'S FUNNY. Mia has the most fantastically funny family EVER. Her parents were awesome. They're retired rockers and freakishly cool. They didn't turn into the YA parents that drone on in the background...they were involved in their kids lives, they were friends with their kids, they listened, offered advice, and teased. BEST PARENTS EVER.

The thing with books that start with a BANG like this one (obviously the fatal car crash) is...you have to care about who's dying in order to feel for the book. I cared. I cared a whole damn lot. The jumping back and forth between the past and present showed me snippets of Mia's whole life...it showed me her parents. It showed me the dynamics. It made me ache for their deaths from the first few pages. THAT IS GOOD WRITING, OKAY??!

Okay, but my only meh moment came at the amount of telling vs showing. With all the back flashes it was very unusual for anything to end up as an actual scene. It was all "this happened and then this and this"...which usually I hate, but I don't even care in this case. I LOVE THE BOOK TOO MUCH. Mia's voice was perfect, so I could've read any amount of monologues by her...but I do wish there had been more scenes.

And Mia and Adam? Get me a ship. I'm sailing this. They are so realistic. From the initial awkwardness to arguing to being just purely in love with each other. And being in love with music. I SHIP THEM BOTH WITH EACH OTHER AND MUSIC.
description

I loved this book, like a lot (in case it was hard to tell). Music. Cellos? Heart ripping sadness? Yup. I'm in.

(I haven't seen the movie yet, but it's on my to-do list.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If I Stay.

August 10, 2014 – Shelved
August 10, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
November 11, 2014 – Started Reading
November 12, 2014 –
page 120
59.7% "I have gotten no end of goose bumps and nearly teared up. LIKE WHAT IS THIS? I AM VULCAN. I DO NOT CRY."
November 13, 2014 – Shelved as: 5-star
November 13, 2014 – Shelved as: contemporary
November 13, 2014 – Shelved as: read-2014
November 13, 2014 – Shelved as: young-adult
November 13, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)

Jennifer You have to read Where She Went, it will rip your heart out all over again!

Marga I know just what you mean about the goose bumps. This book was one of my best reads this year! Where She Went was even better!

C.G. Drews @Jennifer: It is already on reserve at the library because HECK YEAH I NEED MY HEART IN TINY LITTLE PIECES.

@Margarita: I'm sooo freakishly in need of the movie now though. Ahhh, it's going to tear me apart. XD

Cassie I sobbed for a bit of this book, but I cried for almost the ENTIRE movie.
But then, I cry pretty easily. You should have seen me in Harry Potter 7 part 2...

message 5: by Lily (new) - added it

Lily Ahhh....This book. It completely shattered both my Timelord hearts. I actually met Gayle a week ago and she is simply amazing <3 I need to read where she went, too! We can break apart together, Cait. :'(

C.G. Drews @Cassie: I'm in paaaaain. The movie is going to hurt badly but I STILL NEED TO SEE IT.

@Lily: OH YOU MET GAYLE?!! HOW AWESOME. I've reserved book 2 already!

message 7: by Lily (new) - added it

Lily @Cait: IT WAS AWESOME. BUT I ALSO MET JAMES DASHNER AND VERONICA ROTH AND LAINI TAYLOR AND PSUEDONYMOUS BOSCH AND RAINBOW ROWELL AND KIERA CASS. And more.

Yeah it was basically the best weekend of my life.

C.G. Drews OMG I CANNOT EVEN RIGHT NOW. YOU ARE THE LUCKIEST PERSON IN THE WORLD. VERONICA ROTH?!!!! OMG. I AM FLAILING RIGHT NOW. CONGRATS TO YOU!!!! XD XD

Kimberly I haven't read this yet, but I've heard awesome things! :D I'm not usually one for tears, so I'd be amazed if this one moved me enough to cry. It'd be an instant five-stars, really, since even TFIOS didn't make me cry. (I did tear up though, because I'm not totally heartless.)

I'm also super happy that you're using movie gifs despite not having watched the movie yet. (I haven't either; book first!) I like Chloë Grace Moretz as an actress, so I'm hopeful that this movie will be a good adaptation. :)

message 10: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews I'm soooo NOT one for tears. That's why it totally surprised me! And the narrator sounded like she was choking up at times (I listened to it on audio) and gahhhh. I WAS A GONER.

I haven't watched the movie yet! BUT I SO REALLY BADLY WANT TO NOW. Book first, I agree. *nods* I'm ready for when the movie comes out on DVD.

message 11: by Lily (new) - added it

Lily @Cait - AHHH!! I KNOW!!! I STILL GET GIDDY EVERY TIME I THINK ABOUT IT!!!

It was all thanks to this this wonderful conference here in the US called YALLfest <3 they invite a bunch of authors every year to be prey for all the fangirls.

Funny Story: You and Mime totally have doppelganger sisters that were in line with me to meet James Dashner. Seriously. It was freaking me out.

message 12: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews YOU ARE SO LUCKY TO LIVE IN AMERICA THOUGH. *wails a little* Not only does nothing magnanimous like that happen in Australia, it neeever happens anywhere near to where I live.

BUT OMG, DOPPELGÄNGER?!! I. am. so. intrigued. x) I always wanted a twin...

message 13: by Lily (new) - added it

Lily Just come on over next November;)

YES! I kept looking over at them and finally I gathered up the courage to ask if they were Australian and they just stared at me and were like "Uh, no... We're Canadian".

message 14: by Lily (new) - added it

Lily http://authoressinthemaking.blogspot....

Here's a blog post I wrote about my whole YALLfest experience :D

Malerie I also love this book! It's my favorite book EVER! I was in tears near the end and at the beginning! I haven't seen the movie yet either but I think I will VERY SOON! I will definitely read it again soon!!!! Honestly Cait you seem so upbeat and funny<3

message 16: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Malerie: Awww, thanks! I'm glad you liked the review. And omg I've since seen the movie AND IT IS SO SO GOOD!!! Definite recommend! :D

Malerie I'll definitely have to check it out then!