A.L. Goulden's Reviews > Consensual

Consensual by Livia Jamerlan

liked it

SPOILER ALERT***** THE CONTENT OF MY REVIEW MAY REVEAL THINGS ABOUT THE PLOT****

It looks like I'm the only one who had an issue with the emotional back story that conflicts with the sexual one. I wish I didn't feel so strongly, but I want to give my honest opinion even if it's completely different from the others.

It starts out with a gripping prologue that I was completely sucked into. It made me feel for the main character Braelynn right away and that emotional momentum continued until our hero hot stranger Haas, or Peyton Haas arrives for a meet cute that includes sliding his hand up to remove her panties in the middle of a club. It was hot, don't get me wrong, but after just building up a sensitive sexual history and getting me into her emotional baggage it was difficult to watch her fizzle in his asshole hands.

To be fair Braelynn does try to stand her ground with his actions, for a minute, but it's because she thinks he's married, and then it's because she doesn't want to ruin her new legal career, but it never seems to connect to her sexual history. The problem for me? Throughout the book the issue of rape sparks a protective vibe from Braelynn's friend's that foreshadows there's even more to her past then the prologue revealed. It ruined it for me. I could tell she was a victim. Rape is a tricky thing to use as an emotional scar when you've brought in the alpha of all alphas.

Peyton has a hot mouth on him for sure, and is a very sexy, rich man who gets what he wants. He makes it known over and over that he "will" get what he wants even though she's trying to resist. I just couldn't connect with her when this guy was the one. Without the rape and incest in her past I could have devoured their chemistry in bliss. Their small world of Manhattan was way too connected as they run into each other everywhere, everyday all of the sudden, but I'm really glad I continued the book because Peyton does end up revealing other sides to him that makes him a very interesting man. Their emotional love story started to grip me about 3/4 of the way in so by the end I was wanting more.

The sex scenes are creative and REALLY sticky steamy and eventually a real emotional connection forms between Peyton and Braelynn that I loved. The main story line revolves around her new law internship right before she's due to take her bar exam. The first case she wants to make her mark on had me engaged the whole time, giving twists and turns to keep the pages turning. It was the main reason I kept reading because I had to know how it ends, and since it's a series, I'll just have to wait to find out more. I am looking forward to the next book despite my struggle because now the love story and drama have grown into a good place. There are lots of twists and turns ahead for these two and I can't wait to read them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Consensual.

August 9, 2014 – Shelved