Nanette Bulebosh's Reviews > Six Men: Charles Chaplin; Edward VIII; H.L.Mencken; Humphrey Bogart; Adlai Stevenson & Bertrand Russell

Six Men by Alistair Cooke

May 10, 2010

Read on May 10, 2010

I grew up knowing Cooke only as the "Masterpiece Theater guy" on PBS. I had no knowledge of the other fascinating things he had done in this country and his native one. He shows Bogart in an entirely new light, as a gentleman and a modest, self effacing follower of politics. His portrait of Bertrand Russell includes explanations for how Russell managed to offend just about every institution (and woman, for that matter) that welcomed him, although resurrection often followed.

I like Cooke's sometimes pointed, sometimes meandering observations about both his adopted and his native country, and the indefensible ways humans often behave toward others, as well as toward themselves. His is an old fashioned style of writing. Sinking myself into his pages makes me nostalgic for a kind of prose that seems long gone. Today's writing comes across as phony and too breathless for genuine thought in comparison.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Six Men.

message 1: by Bwithers (new)

Bwithers I was a big Alistair Cooke fan, going all the way back to Omnibus on Sunday afternoons and through so many Sunday evenings as he emceed Masterpiece Theatre. Russell Baker could never measure up. Thanks for the nudge about this book--I'll enjoy "hearing" Cooke's voice again.

Nanette Bulebosh Hi Barbara
I absolutely agree about Russell Baker, although I like some of his books.

message 3: by Bwithers (new)

Bwithers Me too. I wonder how I get my two Goodreads sites combined into one. This one has no books; the other has bunches. I had forgotten I signed up once before!
p.s. I'm Bonnie