Becca von Zweck's Reviews > The Sound

The Sound by Sarah Alderson

bookshelves: books-i-own, young-adult

Sarah Alderson's Out of Control was one of my favorite reads of 2016, so I had high expectations for this one. Although I did enjoy it, it didn't blow me away like Out of Control did. Somehow the writing just felt more....juvenile, I guess. The main character seemed less mature too. It felt like it was a different author almost.

The whole serial killer aspect wasn't nearly as suspenseful as I'd hoped it would be. The majority of the book centered around Ren's interactions with the prep kids and the family she was nannying for. So most of the time it felt like nothing was really happening. There wasn't a whole lot of build up to the serial killer reveal climax, it kinda just happened, out of nowhere. I did enjoy the romance aspect though. The romantic and sexual tension between Ren and Jesse was off the charts and definitely my favorite part of the book.

Jesse did seem a little too cliche "bad boy" to me at times and he was really rude to Ren at first for no reason but we slowly got to see other sides of him. I felt like the romance relied a bit too much on sexual tension on not enough on the two of them truly getting to know each other, and honestly I wasn't sure why Jesse was so taken with Ren so quickly when he barely knew anything about her. The romance was steamy though and that's something I always enjoy. It also kinda bothered me that Jesse seemed to be leading her on despite not wanting to get in a serious relationship and knowing she'd most likely be leaving eventually. BUT who can blame the two of them for falling for each other? The attraction was definitely there and hard to ignore.

It also kinda bothered me that the word "skank" came up a lot. It wasn't the character being judgmental towards other girls at least, it was more like "oh great she probably thinks I'm a skanktron cause I was with one guy and now I'm with another" or "this outfit kinda makes me look skanky." But it still was never really addressed as a problematic label so I guess that's why I was annoyed? But at least it was never used as a derogatory term towards other girls she disliked. Ren was a pretty judgmental character in many ways but she was still relatively likable and her pov was a humorous one to read from as she adjusted to American culture and how different it was from British culture.

Overall, I finished this book very quickly. It kept my attention and was hard to put down, but it just wasn't very well written and the serial killer plot didn't wow me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sound.

August 9, 2014 – Shelved