C.G. Drews's Reviews > The Half Life of Molly Pierce

The Half Life of Molly Pierce by Katrina Leno

bookshelves: contemporary, read-2016, mental-illness, young-adult

At first I was SUPER CONFUSED and then....I loved it. Like I got that whole "omg my soul is being crushed with feels right now" feeling at the end and that is good. I am happy about that. Nothing like a little emotional damage when you finish a book before 8:00am. Also I love this author's second book The Lost & Found and this has the same brilliant writing SO YAY FOR THAT.

L I K E S:
The writing was mostly glorious. It was pretty disjointed, which was disorientating at times, BUT like it made sense and it fit with Molly and her voice. And I just liked how easy it was to fly through (the book is actually teeny tiny) and how it'd be just relatable and mix in really poignant sentences too. Except, well, there were a FEW LINES that I was like "wut even the heck" but we'll get to that.
Family!! I mean, it has basically non-existent-YA-parents...because that's trendy. BUT!! Molly has really sweet siblings and even though they're not hugely featured, they're still nice and I liked them.
It was VERY hard to put down. I mean, what is going onnnnnn??????? Molly is missing whole chunks of her life and I HAD SO MANY QUESTIONS. I was interested to know if it'd turn paranormal or something, but it was a contemporary. And it is just entirely addictive. Give me the plot twist, book, GIVE IT TO ME I'M READY FOR THIS.
• (I was not ready for the plot twist but whatever. Still.)
It's about mental illness and it's a very good representation. It's about depression and I actually felt the heaviness of depression through the writing. The book knows what it's talking about and THAT IS REALLY GOOD TO READ. I mean, not good, because depression is life crippling and awful and destroying, but it's good that the book accurately captured what it's like. Although I do admit I was annoyed that Molly spent the beginning of the book going "I lowkey want to die but I'm not depressed". UM, NO. But then, honestly that's realistic. Because mental illness is sometimes really hard to admit to, even to yourself. So the accuracy of Molly's portrayal of it was very spot-on.

D I S L I K E S:
Okay...it was freaking confusing. Like I mean, MEGA CONFUSING. I honestly didn't like the first half. It was so disjointed and random and amnesia-style books are always hit-or-miss with me. LUCKILY it turned awesome by the end. But that beginning. What even the flying saucepan of bewildered flapjacks is GOING ON HERE.
• There were some seriously weird sentences. Like I don't know if this was to just capture Molly's mental state but...what.
She gives them to me with a look of obvious distaste, but let her distaste me all she wants.

Distaste me????????
I was confused at how much freedom Molly has. She's losing time. She "blacks out" for periods and has no idea what happened. She's openly depressed and seeing a psychiatrist. But yet her parents aren't very involved in her life and she goes off driving all the time and they don't worry if they don't know where she is. LIKE THIS SEEMS STRANGE. (view spoiler)
There were backflashes but they weren't very well marked so. It was confusing knowing if it was the present/past/backflash/dream...whatever.

ALSO A BRIEF SPOILER CHAT SECTION ON THE ENDING:
(view spoiler)

ALL IN ALL: it was a really poignant moving book, although slightly befuddling. Okay, more than slightly. #AwkwardLaughter. A LOT BEFUDDLING. But the messages of self-worth and support were beautiful and the accuracy of depression representation was brilliant and IT WAS A POWERFUL BOOK EVEN THOUGH IT WAS SO SMALL.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Half Life of Molly Pierce.

August 8, 2014 – Shelved
August 8, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
November 18, 2016 – Started Reading
November 18, 2016 –
page 80
31.25% "*nervous laughter*\nWhaaaaaat is going on????????"
November 18, 2016 – Shelved as: contemporary
November 18, 2016 – Shelved as: read-2016
November 18, 2016 – Shelved as: mental-illness
November 18, 2016 – Shelved as: young-adult
November 18, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) *spoilers*
Glad you liked this, I loved it when I read it a while ago. I've done quite a bit of research on DID (Dissociative Identity Disorder) over the last few years for my school/work. This book is one of the better ones when it comes to representation of the disorder, but it still gets quite a lot wrong. Mabel doesn't really function the way most alters function in DID, instead Mabel functioned as a "protector" of Molly. I think in the context of the book, the psychiatrist tried to tell Molly of her disorder before, but Mabel prevented it? Right?

When it comes to the romance, I took it to mean Lyle loved Mabel but she loved Sayer (who loved her). I also read it as Molly had feelings for Sayer, but knew she wasn't the girl he fell for.

It's been a while since I read this, and it's just my interpretation. Still love this book. I thought it had a bunch of different elements and some strong writing for being so short.

C.G. Drews @Kaylin: (view spoiler)

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) (view spoiler)