Giselle's Reviews > Liars, Inc.

Liars, Inc. by Paula Stokes

An Electronic Advanced Reader Copy was provided by the publisher via Edelweiss for review. Quotes have been pulled from an ARC and may be subject to change.

Warning: swear words are found in the book.

Blew through this book and stayed up until 2:38am to finish it. So much craziness.. So many lies..I was thoroughly invested in the story straight from the beginning. You just know that these characters are going to be making very bad decisions one right after the other. And the repercussions just add up making it even worse than before. This is the type of book where you can pretty much guarantee you'll read in one sitting because the writing flows so evenly and you just want to get to the bottom of all the lies and deception. I read this in one sitting and staying up to read it? Well it was super easy to do so.

Max is a character who you get to root for. You want him to win, you want him to have his happily ever after. I pitied him from the start because obviously I didn't trust his girlfriend or best friend. There was something shifty and shady about the way they would dodge their answers whenever Max asked them. I also didn't get how nonchalant he was when the police. I know he's had experience as a runaway orphan but still wouldn't you be freaked out if the FBI is investigating you? He doesn't even bother being careful but that's part of his character I guess. In the end, I just wanted him to get his act together and get out of the mess. I wanted more development with his family because I found his sister to be hilarious.

Can I say the pacing and the plot just kept moving like a train at high speed that I pretty much stuck my head in this book until it was over? Yep I loved the ride. I was constantly changing my theories around but never really considered the outcome because it just seemed "too easy" as a plot device. The real reason was a whole heck of complications and I can't wait until Paula writes more. She just knows how to mystery thrillers and I would love to see what else she has in store for us.

RATING 4/5

QUOTES

"To me, Mother Nature isn't nearly as scary as human nature."

"How did girls know exactly how far they could bend over without flashing the good stuff?"

"Life had a way of coming in and screwing shit up whenever things started going good."

"A lot of kids think high school represents the best years of their lives, but others recognize that it's mostly irrelevant bullshit, and that life doesn't even begin until afterward."

"You think it's okay to lie about stuff like that as long as you have a reason?"

"When you care about someone so much that you'll do anything-even stupid or destructive things-to protect them."

"You can't just chase wildly after every wave. You have to wait for the right one to come to you."

"It kind of sucks having nothing to lose, but it sucks even worse having everything good taken away from you. Or to realize it was never yours in the first place."

"Faith seems to be something people develop when their lives are going good."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Liars, Inc..

August 8, 2014 – Shelved
August 8, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
August 8, 2014 – Shelved as: 2015
August 16, 2014 – Shelved as: arc-electronic
August 16, 2014 – Shelved as: from-edelweiss
August 16, 2014 – Shelved as: requested-for-review
March 26, 2015 – Started Reading
March 26, 2015 –
4.0% "“With skin the colour of almonds...” Heh always comparing coloured skin to food.. Well at least he has an Indian girlfriend. Bonus points for diversity!"
March 26, 2015 –
24.0% "I'm going to end up reading this quickly.."
55.0% "Ummmmm!!!"
March 26, 2015 –
83.0% "Well that's a twist right there!"
March 27, 2015 – Finished Reading