Sara's Reviews > The Children's Hospital

The Children's Hospital by Chris Adrian

May 03, 2007

Recommended for: awesome people.
Read in October, 2007

this book, to me, feels like playing pretend on a huge wonderful scale. it exists in the most real way in the world of imagination. and it is so blissfully long! i don't really want to finish.

update:
okay but now i did finish, and i was not disappointed. In a lot of ways, I was reminded of Harry Potter in the scope and magnitude and level of imagination and complete definition of an unfamiliar world, except The Children's Hospital soared over all of Harry Potter's weaknesses, and doesn't give you a slightly dirty feeling that you're enjoying it a bit too much.

What I found most compelling about the book was the power and beauty of the smallest moments. Things that I had never even articulated feeling are described in such a way that I was sure that the human experience and my own childhood experience is in so many ways universal. These moments were beautiful and tragic and wonderful, making the characters so intimate and real.

My only complaint is that the ending was awfully clean and turned the whole journey of the book into something extremely logical and linear. It fit, it definitely fit, but it was almost too tidy.

When I finished this book, I opened back up to the first page and started right over again. It was that good.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Children's Hospital.