Tabitha Olson's Reviews > Jekel Loves Hyde

Jekel Loves Hyde by Beth Fantaskey

bookshelves: recent-reviews, 4-to-5-stars

I had a hard time writing this review, but not because I was conflicted in how I felt about it. I really enjoyed this story, but I had the hardest time trying to figure out why.

First off, I want to say that I haven’t read Fantaskey’s first book, Jessica’s Guide To Dating on the Dark Side. It seems like many who liked that book didn’t like this one. Perhaps the two are too different from each other, and there was a certain set of expectations that weren’t met. But I’m just guessing. :)

I read Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde in high school and I remember enjoying it, but that’s about all I remember. So I was looking forward to this book, because it sounded like an interesting twist on the classic. And it was. There are so many books that use vampires and werewolves as a way of introducing the monstrous characters, but Fantaskey uses the monster within ourselves – man’s dual nature, and the lure of power that comes with it.

Many reviewers have complained that Jill didn’t stand out enough as a character, but I think that was done on purpose so that we could see the complete change after she drinks the formula. Her desire for power, or to at least to not be walked all over anymore, drives her to be more reckless than usual. The formula provides an easy and quick path to that power, which is extremely alluring and very believable.

The romance was probably the weakest part of the story. They yo-yo’d back and forth between love and hate too much for my taste.

Slight SPOILER below.

I love that Fantaskey explored the monster within (as the original classic did), but I loved even more that she implied embracing your inner monster will keep it from taking over. Moderation is the key.

Definitely recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jekel Loves Hyde.

May 9, 2010 – Shelved