Carol Kean's Reviews > EDYL - Island of Immortality

EDYL - Island of Immortality by Mark Capell

Would you compete for a chance to live forever on a private island of luxury while everyone else on earth lived short, austere lives--your friends and family left behind? The great Odysseus passed up immortal life with a goddess on their own private island, so loyal was he to his wife Penelope (never mind that he delayed his voyage home while committing adultery; the Greeks didn't put much emphasis on that aspect). We humans are a selfish lot, after all. Of course we'd never abandon parents, spouses, children and friends! Until someone offers us the ultimate bribe.

In the "Edyl, Island of Immortality," moral character and fidelity are tested when a select few humans are invited to compete for the ultimate prize, eternal life on Edyl Island. A seemingly benign government secretly spies on the people to make sure they're really worthy of eternal life. One of their minions narrates the story. He begins as the beguiling "unreliable narrator," an eager-to-please and obedient civil servant. He's assigned three people to investigate as the annual competition for a place on Edyl gets underway.

It helps that the spy is trained as a mind-reader, and citizens have no idea that the government has gone from reading our emails to reading our minds. Against all the rules, R77K keeps getting more and more involved with the people he's assigned to read. He also attains new skills rarely developed among mind-reading minions.

The prologue establishes "Edyl" as a story pieced together from the reports, thought-journal entries and thought-mails "left behind by a World Organizing Committee (WOCO) officer," codename R77K. On a ruined, colorless, sunless Earth of the future, gadgets and futuristic technology seem to be the number-one bribe for living. Science has found a way to make humans immortal, but only a chosen few. There are just too many people and not enough resources to go around.

We know the bad guys won't be deposed in Book One, so we can look forward to more of Lena Hart, the singer, Olegario Riley, the mute runner, and Darrick Brull, the mechanic, in Book Two. I’d read it just to see far the R77K, the mind reader, can go.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read EDYL - Island of Immortality.

Started Reading