Patrick's Reviews > Three Parts Dead

Three Parts Dead by Max Gladstone

Aug 07, 2014

Earlier this year, I met Max Gladstone. We were both attending a convention in Boston.

Simply said, I really liked him. He was funny, articulate, and smart. He'd traveled the world and had interesting stories to show for it.

So I picked up his book. Because when I meet an interesting author, I like to see what they've written.

To be completely honest, this isn't the best way to pick up new books. Someone who is funny in person isn't always funny in print. A person might be delightfully verbally articulate, but that doesn't always transfer onto the page.

But smart.... Well, that's a different matter. Smart people tend to write smart books. I like to read smart books. And Gladstone struck me as being a very clever individual....

So. I bought his books and read them on my trip. They were not merely clever. Not merely good. They were stunningly good. Stupefyingly good.

Let me put it another way.

Twenty-ish years ago, I read Neverwhere and it kinda blew the top off of my head. It was a mix of things I didn't know could be mixed. It was magic and myth and London and faerie all brought together in a clever, cunning, subtle melange.

That's how I feel about these books. They mix magic and science and culture and finance in a way I never considered possible before.

Good language. Good story. Good character. Absolutely stunning world and concept.

Will you have to work a little to get your head around things a first? Yeah. A little. That's the price you pay for something original like this. But it's worth it. So worth it.

If you read fantasy or sci-fi, if you enjoy clever thoughts and unique worldbuilding, if you want something new and fresh and sharp: This is the book for you. Seriously.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Three Parts Dead.

Started Reading
August 7, 2014 – Shelved
August 7, 2014 – Finished Reading

Nathan His second book is even better IMHO. Give it a try.

Patrick Nathan wrote: "His second book is even better IMHO. Give it a try."

Wait a bit and I'll post a review of that one too...

message 3: by Alice (new) - added it

Alice Well I guess this is the book for me then! I just finished "The Name of the wind" a few days ago and was blown away by... well everything really. I am already reading "The Wise Man's Fear" way too fast (but I cannot stop!) and am terrified of the book hangover it will put me into once I finish it. So thanks for the fantastic books you write and for the great books you recommend. :)

message 4: by Sara (new) - added it

Sara Added it to the never ending list. Thanks!

message 5: by Renee (new) - added it

Renee so glad i read this review! i'm IN.

James Robinson I read Neverwhere when II came out and had the same reaction.
Just added Three Parts Dead because of your review and really looking forward to reading it. Thanks!

Chris Barnett I just wanted to say thank you for your review of Three Parts Dead. I have just started the third book of the series and they are all wonderful. I had been circling this book for awhile not knowing if if I would enjoy it and not wanting to get my hopes up. Your praise for the book made me pick it up, and then I couldn't put it down. Thanks!

Carlos You know why I love this site, because I can read the actual reviews from my favorit e autors, see what they are reading and read that. Thank you for the recomendation, it was great, at least the first book, I really liked how for him magic and soul is the coin of the world, on my way to the second book.

message 9: by Angel (new) - added it

Angel As if I didn't already want to read this series, now one of my top authors gives it 5 stars and compares it to my top book from another of my favorite authors? I'm 1000% in now <3.