Charlie's Reviews > Ace of Hearts

May 08, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: indie
Recommended to Charlie by: For review

The story touches on the struggles faced by minorities of race, and also gender in a white, predominately male occupation. It addresses interracial relationships, career paths, sexuality and criminal activity. Although not a new concept, it is still a very relevant real-world topic to explore when developing tension between characters. Shortly after I received this book I read that a newly updated version was being released. I wonder what was added, edited and further developed.

Sex on the brain and interaction by the lead female character cheapens her credibility. I wanted to know more about the case and less about her sexual escapades and relationship. At times she seemed completely ill-equipped and not capable of handling her task. I never got a clear voice for the main character or characters. Events were told, scenes were described, but I had no real emotional attachment to any of them, least of all Von. From a criminal profiling stand point, I tried to put aside the inconsistencies of the serial killer Eric Becker. However, his traits, M.O., position, crossing racial barriers of victims, relationship status and lack of known background and triggers made it difficult to digest (See ). Becker was what I’d consider a sexual sadistic serial killer and although not every sexually motivated killer has identical qualities, there are behaviors that all do share or have in common. I felt he was more of a mash-up and I found it unconvincing. Lastly, the exuberant use of clichés was almost shameful. Every author does it, but this went beyond the minor blunder. For more on clichés go to "How To Avoid clichés."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ace of Hearts.

May 8, 2010 – Shelved
June 21, 2010 –
page 143
June 21, 2010 –
page 143
45.69% "I'd classify Eric Becker as a sadistic, sexual serial killer. However, some of his traits do not fit neatly into a criminal profile. I wish I had more info. about the boy turned killer and perhaps less about Von's sexual relationship and insecurity which tends to get a touch repetitive. I'm trying to accept the actions and motivations of the killer, but I'm a little hazy since I don't know what the 'trigger' is."
June 23, 2010 –
page 154
June 23, 2010 – Finished Reading
December 3, 2010 – Shelved as: indie

Cheryl Do you plan on reading the next book in this series?

Adrienna Interesting suggestions to make a better thriller...I wondered about the added part too but been over 2 yrs since I read the first one. It was the parents' of Goldberg to come and speak about the death of their daughter, Ellen, that appeared new to me.