Nancy's Reviews > Maisie Dobbs

Maisie Dobbs by Jacqueline Winspear

1956252
May 08, 2010

bookshelves: historical-fiction, mystery, war, psychology, england, western-europe, award-winner

I was motivated to read this book for a couple of reasons. First, I was at a Mariner game in Seattle and the man next to me was reading one of the Maisie Dobbs books. He told me it was a great series and recommended I start at the beginning. Then, after picking up the 1st in the series at a book store the next day, I received an e-mail from Picador notifying me I’d won books 3-6 in their mystery sweepstakes. It was meant to be!

The first book introduces Maisie, a bright, spunky and likeable heroine who uses psychology and astute observation in her detective work. The story really picked up for me when the author delved into Maisie’s background and how she evolved from an impoverished childhood into an educated and caring women opening up her own detective agency in London, or as her name plate reads: “M. Dobbs, Psychologist and Investigator.”

Set in Britain and France during and post World War I, Winspear enlightens the reader on how social class defined a person’s role in life during that period. She also explores the devastating effects of war, the main focus of Maisie’s first case.

I thoroughly enjoyed my introduction to Maisie Dobbs and look forward to reading the rest of the books in this series.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Maisie Dobbs.