Jasmin's Reviews > Pride and Prejudice

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

bookshelves: classic, historical-romance, 1001-books, fiction, historical-fiction, romance, four-stars, reviewed-by-me, aar-top-100-list, bbc-top-100
Recommended to Jasmin by: Filipino Group
Recommended for: People who want to widen their vocabulary and of course hopeless romantics

"I cannot fix on the hour, or the spot, or the look, or the words, which laid the foundation. It is too long ago. I was in the middle before I knew that it had begun."

This was Mr. Fitzwilliam Darcy's reply when Ms. Elizabeth Bennet asked him when he fell in love with her.

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen had put my left out dictionary into good use. I have to admit, I was very slow in the first pages, however, nearing the end, I was like a driver going at 100mph, eager to reach the finish line.

At the first pages, I have to admit I was frustrated, for Jane Austen had called her characters Miss Bennet, and I must duly mention that there are five Miss Bennets. And the use of various nicknames, confused me more. I thought Elizabeth and Eliza and Lizzy are different persons. So, I put a book guide into good use as well.

I must also mention my despise of Mrs. Bennet. I hated her more than anyone in this novel. She has no talent in being a mother whatsoever and have no notions of leading her daughters in the right path. The only thing that matters to her is the marrying of her five daughters. After the misfortune of Lydia running away with Wickham, she was frivolous as to forget the elopement as soon as news of marriage were ensued. She considered the hunting for a wedding gown, the most of her problems. I've never seen a woman as fickle-minded as her and no one as blinded to riches than her. Nor do I have a desire to meet one.

Lydia Bennet, is another matter. She is selfish and insensitive as anyone can get. I have to mention this, to unload the hatred in my chest.

How Jane and Elizabeth turned out to be well bred is a wonder, considering the type of mother they are born with.

But enough of what I hate of the book, because it will soon be forgotten, and all but the love of Mr Darcy for Elizabeth would remain.

This is a genuine love story. I've fallen in love with Mr Darcy. He wanted to change his ways for his beloved Elizabeth. He helped her in so many ways and he needed no credit for it. For him, it was enough that he knew he helped her. He also hid his love for her for so long, its endearing.

No part of the book was useless. All were vital for the fruition of Mr Darcy and Ms Bennett's love story. As you go deeper in the book, all pieces come together, like a puzzle, slowly making meaning.

Indeed, Ms. Elizabeth Bennet is lucky, to have loved and to be loved in return. Despite the troubles their love had to endure, it was victor in the end. ♥

May 8, 2010 – Shelved
May 17, 2010 – Started Reading
May 17, 2010 –
page 10
May 21, 2010 –
page 110
page 110
39.43% "i am going at a neckbreaking speed of a caterpillar. :("
page 171
page 177
63.44% "i am still at a neckbreaking speed of a catterpillar ggrr. however, i believe my love for mr. darcy will help me through."
May 23, 2010 – Shelved as: classic
July 30, 2010 – Shelved as: four-stars
July 30, 2010 – Shelved as: reviewed-by-me
August 14, 2010 – Shelved as: aar-top-100-list
December 15, 2010 – Shelved as: bbc-top-100

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)

message 1: by Beccy (new) - added it

Beccy Great review :D don't know if i will ever read the book though :P

Jasmin Beccy wrote: "Great review :D don't know if i will ever read the book though :P"

thanks. hmm, at 1st you would need a heroic dose of patience, but after the 1st hundred pages, reading would be a breeze :)

Dina Lovely review, Jasmin. It made me want to reread the book for the nth time. *sighs*

Jasmin dina, mr. darcy is absolutely delightful. I wonder if there's any modern day Darcy's, for i would like to have one for myself. i regret having just read it recently :|

K.D. Absolutely Nice review. Most people your age read YA. Good to see somebody as young as you still having time reading and appreciating classic literature!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Ahhhhh, the classics are often times better than the newer books. Which is why they are classics :)

message 7: by Lynsey A (new)

Lynsey A Oh, this is my absolute favorite book in the whole world. sigh

A modern day Mr. Darcy? How nice. How unlikely.

AgentScully Lynsey A wrote: "Oh, this is my absolute favorite book in the whole world. sigh ."

Yeah, what Lynsey said!

My Mom likes Mrs. Bennet **shudder**

Daisiemae Great review, Jasmin:)
Mr. Darcy will always be one of my favorite heroes:)

Nissie Lambert excellent review,Jasmin! I love Mr,Darcy as well. It's a real shame there's no modern day guys like that. Well,there could be I guess,but I've never heard of one.

Jasmin thanks ladies.

there are Mr. Darcys out there. but the thing is, either they'r married, engaged or in a relationship. hehe.

agentscully, i cannot imagine anyone liking mrs benneeet *goosebumps*

thanks again everyone! :)

Nissie Lambert well,that's just not fair,Jasmin lol :)

message 13: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell Awesome review! I just might pick up this book!

message 14: by Bry (last edited Aug 01, 2010 07:21AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bry Awwww my absolute favorite book!!! So glad you enjoyed it!!

At first I hated Mrs Bennet too, but now I have to admit to her and Mr Collins being 2 of my favorite characters because JA did such an AMAZING job at making them so completely despicable! LOL!

Darcie Grunblatt I completely agree 100%! When about Mr. Darcy proposed, they book started to get REALLY interesting.

Aisyah You know jasmine, I also regret only now reading it. My experience was exactly like yours. Slow at first then up to the proposal, it was like... Just as what you had described. ;)

Jasmin yes, it is a regret to only have met Mr Darcy just recently. He's seriously one of my favorite heroes :D

Aisyah Now I understand why sooo many people and books sighs dreamily when a Darcy is mentioned.. Lol. I am now in that club... *sighs

Micha In defense for Mrs. Bennet (the mother), she did live in the Jameson era and have FIVE daughters and no male heir. It's a wonder little else did ever occupy her mind. Also, I suspect Lizzie and Jane turned out so well because of their own character, their father, their love of reading and the influence of one another. But that's just me.

Micha p.S. Lydia Bennet is the character I loathe most in all of literature. That's a long list to be on the top of.

message 21: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Wolfe This is my favorite book ever! I think I read it about 3 or 4 times a year :) I am in love with your review and encourage everyone who has not read this book to go to the nearest library or borrow it from a friend and read it now!

message 22: by Lynsey A (new)

Lynsey A I second that Michelle.

Audrey I'm quite forgiving to Mrs. Bennet, in fact I was happy she's a bit dim otherwise, how can she suffer his husbands faults?

Akshaya Ayahska great review(:

Hannah Smith Love this review, I can definitely relate!

Omaid ibn Naimet You spoke my heart out. I second every word you said!

message 27: by Mara (new) - added it

Mara Louk It was very slow in the beginning. I love the way you explain this book.