Sheila Callaham's Reviews > The Biology of Belief: Unleashing the Power of Consciousness, Matter and Miracles

The Biology of Belief by Bruce H. Lipton
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Biology of Belief.

Finished Reading
August 6, 2014 – Shelved
August 6, 2014 – Shelved as: spiritual-self-help
August 6, 2014 – Shelved as: science

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Sheila Callaham An Enlightening Read Covering Science & Spirit

As I read Dr. Bruce Lipton’s book The Biology of Belief, I kept asking myself why I hadn’t discovered it sooner. In fact, I wanted to have read this 2005 book way before it was written. I wanted the biology part when I took high school biology in the late ‘70s or even when I took college biology a few years later. I would have wanted to read it again before I decided to get pregnant with my first child. In fact, this is a book that I would have had on my book shelf for frequent reference, so amazing is its message.

Cell biologist and medical school professor Dr. Lipton is a crusader, putting into words what has taken him years of experience, study, and assimilation to understand himself. One Amazon reviewer, himself a physician, captures the essence of Dr. Lipton’s message when he wrote, “You can always tell the pioneers---they're the ones with arrows in their backs.”

The bone of contention? Lipton’s suggestion (based on science) that the single cell is controlled by its environment not its genetic programming and the medium which controls its environment is the brain. “The mind’s energy (or thoughts) directly influence how the physical brain controls the body’s physiology.” If beliefs are just thoughts that we’ve had over and over, then our beliefs control our biology (whether or not these beliefs are true). Our thoughts produce the chemicals that influence the environment, therefore, our thoughts influence our health and happiness.

What I most enjoyed: There are too many aspects of Lipton’s book to pick just one thing. For example, I was delighted to read science-based work that resonated with what I’ve believed for years. Positive thoughts have a healthy impact on our lives. Negative thoughts lead to negative feelings, increased sadness, depression, apathy, and disease. The biology was fascinating, unveiling that the membrane of the cell is the control center and not the nucleus. I love the attention he gave to universal energy and the concept that, “The universe is one indivisible, dynamic whole in which every and mater are so deeply entangled it is impossible to consider them as independent elements.” And, I appreciated his focus on conscious parenting and how important it is that parents teach their children patterns of thinking that will help them discover and grow, versus protective or critical patterns of thinking that will hinder their development and future success.

How much did I learn from reading The Biology of Belief? Well, I took 12 pages of notes while reading my Kindle version, and I plan to buy a print copy for a permanent place on my bookshelf.