Chris's Reviews > Sex with the Queen: 900 Years of Vile Kings, Virile Lovers, and Passionate Politics

Sex with the Queen by Eleanor Herman

May 08, 2010

bookshelves: history-europe

My new hero is Marguerite-Louise of France, Grand Duchess of Tuscany. The Duchess found herself made to Cosimo de Medici in 1661. She didn't like him; it's easy to understand way. He was that Cosimo de Medici after all. They both had affairs. After the death of her father-in-law, Marguerite demanded to be allowed back to France where she could have fun. She finally was, and then put into a convent. She went out and partied anyway. The king got a new prioress who said no, no. Marguerite said yeah, right, burned down the convent and chased the priorness around the blaze, incidentially while wielding an axe and a gun to get her point across.

Herman's book will give you few other women like Marguerite, though some women were quite smart. Apparently one Queen manipulated her husband simply by pulling those long white gloves off her arms. Some of the tales are tragic, in particularly the story of Caroline Matlida of Denmark, whose prison you can actually visit.

All in all, an enjoyable, funny read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sex with the Queen.

07/16/2016 marked as: read

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 2: by Niina (new)

Niina Thanks for the reviews, now that I know about these two books Kings and Gueens I ordered them to my libarary for a read. :)