Ra's Reviews > Lottery

May 08, 2010

bookshelves: favorite, in-english
Recommended for: everyone
Read in May, 2009

I found this book randomly at National Library, I borrowed it.. then once I read it, I couldn't put the book down since the first time I touched it. But I had to go to work at least 8 hours a day, so It's hard for me to finish it in few hours. I still remember, .. I read this book on a train on my way to office, ... and finished it one evening at Gloria Jeans cafe orchard, Singapore.. around May 2009.

This book, somewhat, reminds me of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon. Where the Point of view is from Perry, a not normal person. He said he's not retarded, but he's just slow, because his IQ is 76. Retarded people have lower than 70 score, that's what his grand mother said to him (if I'm not mistaken).

Then, after his beloved grand mother passed away, He won a 12 million dollars lottery ticket, and out of the blue, his greedy family who used to abandon him because of his shortcoming as a not normal person turn out to be so nice.

From this book, I learned that no matter how 'slow' a human is, they deserve the right to live and be respected.. like Perry. Even though he's 'slow', he has a good moral and better than his greedy family.

P.S I really want to re-read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lottery.