Christopher Lawson's Reviews > Journeyman: Eric Clapton -- A Photographic Narrative

Journeyman by Gene Shaw

√ "I felt like I was in heaven."

This book chronicles two decades of performances of one of the world's greatest rock musicians. EC is usually ranked as the #2 greatest guitarist of all time, and in this book, we get a little taste of that greatness.

The events described in JOURNEYMAN cover the period from 1982, Binghamton, New York to the Mohegan Sun, 2013. For the author's first EC concert at Binghamton, he describes his frantic pleadings to try to get tickets. (There were ultimately two cancelled reservations.)

I found the very first concert account in 1982 to be the most interesting part of JOURNEYMAN. It's here where the author provides some insight into what makes Eric Clapton so compelling an artist. Gene describes in great detail EC's encore of Layla: "You fell Eric's pain as he puts his love on the line. He begs, goes down on his knees, and wails on his guitar." Ah, that is the magic of Eric Clapton: "This is the moment when the audience lives his dream."

For each event, the reader is treated to a few photos of EC, the musician line-up, and the set list. The author includes some inside information on each event. A few times, Gene Shaw had to use some sly tricks (e.g., pretending to be media) to get into a particular event. There is a convenient list of all photo credits in an appendix.

√ JOURNEYMAN is an interesting, sometimes funny look at three decades of concerts. Through photographs and his prose, Gene Shaw gives the reader a little idea--a little taste of what it's like to be in the audience when the crowd starts stomping the floor in anticipation. As the author confesses, "I felt like I was in heaven."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Journeyman.

Started Reading