Lucy's Reviews > Dead Aid: Why Aid Is Not Working and How There Is a Better Way for Africa

Dead Aid by Dambisa Moyo

May 08, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: 2010, non-fiction, africa

An extremely neoliberal approach to the problem of development in Africa.

Written by a Zambian economist - educated in the UK & US (you can tell) - the book outlines both the problems with current aid to Africa and suggests how the market can offer a better solution.

It was an extremely interesting read - not least the chapter on China - however, there is no disguising that it is a very one-sided view of the problems facing Africa. Noting the issues with infrastructure and liquidity, Moyo offers market-based solutions for Africa to help itself by tracking various market mechanisms and their effect on the fictional country of Donga.

This was my problem with the book. Despite being written by an African Economist I think it gave a very narrowminded perspective of development. A lot of the suggestions are difficult to implement and whilst I'm sure the economic solutions would work I felt that Moyo underestimated the social and political spheres in which these solutions must operate.

Nevertheless a good and interesting perspective on the aid problem.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead Aid.

May 8, 2010 – Started Reading