Gavin's Reviews > X-Men, Volume 2: Muertas

X-Men, Volume 2 by Brian Wood

it was ok
bookshelves: comics

This is actually less than a 2-star book.

It should be called X-(wo)Men; how many ovaries can we throw into one book?

This was supposed to be a great idea, a team we could enjoy, by a great writer (Wood). Instead, it feels like a gimmick-y, quota-filler.

So from last time, and then the events of Battle of the Atom; Kitty is no longer in the picture, nor is Rogue (still not sure why on her). Instead we've got that chick who was in the coma and then became possessed by John Sublime's "sister", and is now back better than ever. Oh and some other girl. She seems pretty strong.

Apparently all they needed was a world-crisis, and Storm and Rach are besties again. (Maybe Kitty just pissed them both off?)

Anyhow, Lady Deathstrike returns (this time as an entity/spirit, who is unleashed by a rich Latino hottie teenager...who likes to paint herself like Day of the Dead...right.

Apparently all you need to do is bring back the "spirit/soul/aura" of anyone, shoot them into a new body, and boom. Wood seems to use this for everyone.

Last volume; here, with more baddie ladies: Maddy Pryor, Selene (both of the Hellfire Club) and the Enchantress, who was on Earth cast out by Thor? Apparently everyone wants to team up to get more power? IDK...really.

description

Honestly, I just gave up. I didn't try to understand, I didn't try to let it make sense, I just said OK, sure, whatever you say.

Storm decides to let Pryor and Selene go? Enchantress walks away? Lady Deathstrike doesn't want to be her anymore? Seriously? WTF? I'm just so not interested. I swear, Wood just gave up and didn't care anymore? Who knows.

I read this yesterday, and I'm already straining to remember more than good girls(and randoms) versus baddies(and randoms). There's also more of the X-(wo)Men leaving to join some other dudettes I've never heard of either. WOW bust out the obscure shit...I like obscure, but not this much out of nowhere.

Really, a big swing and a miss for me.

Please don't sit on this grenade.

Get this review and more at:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read X-Men, Volume 2.

August 5, 2014 – Shelved
August 5, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
Started Reading
October 29, 2014 – Finished Reading
October 30, 2014 – Shelved as: comics

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Sam (new)

Sam Quixote Sooooo disappointed that Brian Wood replaced Warren Ellis on Moon Knight. Wood’s Marvel work is really poor so you know MK Vol 2 is going to suck.

Gavin I hadn't even heard that yet, but based on this sample size? I'm not going to be excited...Even The Massive was far more entertaining than this. I just feel like he doesn't like having an already defined character, which is why he brought in so many new/obscure ones that he could define them his way?