Brodie's Reviews > Matched

Matched by Ally Condie

May 07, 2010

bookshelves: favorites

I'd been lusting over this books for months, not only because of the stunning cover art but I'd read it was a cross between The Hunger Games and Twilight. I absolutely love The Hunger Games... so a YA dystopian + love triangle? Oh I'm so there. So when I was lucky enough to receive an early copy, you could say I was a little happy!

Did it live up to the hype? You bet it did! I loved Matched! If comparing it to the God of dystopians, The Hunger Games, it's a lot more subtle - as in, don't expect the same brutal violence. But it's message is just as powerful. Cassia lives in the 'perfect' society. They decide when you die, when you can have kids, who you love, IF you can love, what you eat, how much you eat, what you dress in, what music you're allowed to listen to.... yes, they're power-hungry jerks who believe they've created this Utopian society for mankind. Cassia believes this too, at first. She's grown up never questioning the way things are run, obeying the Officials will as every other sheep in the flock - until her Matching Banquet.

The Society has deemed Cassia and her best friend, Xander, a perfect 'Match'. But mere hours later, she discovers she has a second Match - another boy's data linked to hers. An error in a perfect system. A boy who was never supposed to be Matched. From that moment on, life as Cassia knows it will never be the same.

Enter Ky - who pushes her, makes her question, gives her the courage and strength to THINK for herself, CHOOSE the course of her own life. The relationship that forms between him and Cassia is subtle, powerful and really makes you appreciate the beauty of words - the WRITTEN word. The ability to form words with your own hands and tell your story. As we and Cassia learn more about Ky and his past, your heart breaks for him and by the end of the book, you want to reach through and strangle a few of those Officials.

Ally Condie's writing is simple and beautiful. She's created a disturbing society that makes you breathe a sigh of relief at the freedom we have in our own world. It's impossible not to become trapped in the stiffing cage of this book, desperately clinging to the next page and the one after, in hopes that Cassia and everyone she cares about will find a way to somehow break free from this deceptively perfect way of life and finally start LIVING. But of course, this is the first book in a trilogy. We never get what we want until the final book :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Matched.

Quotes Brodie Liked

Ally Condie
“Ky can play this game. He can play all of their games, including the one in front of him that he just lost. He knows exactly how to play, and that's why he loses every time.”

Ally Condie
“His lips move silently, and I know what he says: the words of a poem that only two people in the world know.”

Ally Condie
“We could have been happy. I know that, and it is perhaps the hardest thing to know.”

Ally Condie
“I think of how perhaps the best way to fly would be with hands full of earth, so you always remember where you came from.”
tags: this

Finished Reading
May 7, 2010 – Shelved
January 22, 2011 – Shelved as: favorites

Precious Great review! You just had me wiping my drool off. :))

Brodie Haha thanks, Precious! But please drool AWAY from the book, you'll smudge all the pretty words :P