Piotr's Reviews > The Eye of the World

The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan

Probably the best part of one of the longest fantasy sagas. A flawed book that nonetheless holds a promise of something truly epic.

But do not start it – I mean, well, if you absolutely have to, read this one, and stop at that. Unless you want more and more of the same, with action moving so slowly that it sometimes stops entirely. For hundreds of pages. There are many reviews here giving the basic outline of this book's plot, so I won't repeat that. But a quick warning – whatever irritates you in The Eye of the World, will be repeated hundreds of times throughout the series. Whatever you find funny or fresh, will also be repeated hundreds of times, until you get really, really tired of it.

It's a clone of Tolkien written without Tolkien's understanding of mythology and story creation. And it in later volumes, when it goes it's own way, it just sucks. It's a failed attempt of creating a world with reversed gender roles by simply reversing the stereotypes.”The Eye of the World” is, by itself, a clumsy but fun book (thus my 4-star rating. I gave it after reading the first book, it does not reflect my opinion about the entire series). If the series gradually improved with further installments, it could have joined the ranks of solid, if not brilliant, fantasy cycles. Problem is, there is not improvement, not story-wise, not even in technique, plot devising or character development.

I've listened to audio versions of the entire saga. I'm a completionist and the audio is done exceptionally great – by Michael Kramer and Kate Reading, they are way better than the material they are working on. And I was stubborn – I wanted to be able to say – yeah, I've finished the entire series and it really sucks. And so I do.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Eye of the World.

August 4, 2014 – Shelved