Chrissie's Reviews > The Whistling Season

The Whistling Season by Ivan Doig

liked it
bookshelves: fiction, usa, education

Now I have finsihed the book - so this first paragraph is written after the following paragraph. The plot has a tremendous surprise at the end. All along you know what is going to happen at the end. You do and you don't, because there is a fun twist. And it all holds together. I thought I knew the characters, but in the end when one in particular surprises you, you realize he threw you a looper but his character remains consistent and very believable and real. So an interesting twist ends the book and this keeps you thinking after you finish the book. A very good book, for numerous reasons. On second thoughts I would like to add that the writing style will either appeal to you or not appeal to you. I think this will be a personal thing. I liked it. And I loved Morrie.

I adore the dialogue. This writer can write. For me, the language of a book is very important. I am so sick of Nobel Prize winners that are so HARD to read. Reading a book should always be enjoyable, and it can be even if the subject is difficult. Excellent writing in this book. I usually pick books where I think I will learn something so then at least I have gotten out something if the writing wasn't up to par. I am always so happy when I find just tremendous writing. And I like to chuckle, which I definitely do reading this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Whistling Season.

December 9, 2007 – Shelved
December 9, 2007 – Shelved as: fiction
December 9, 2007 – Shelved as: usa
Started Reading
July 21, 2008 – Shelved as: education
July 21, 2008 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Donna Nice review, Chrissie. I agree that the writing was good and that the author made this story easy to read. It was just a little too placid for me, much as I enjoyed reading about the happenings in that family.

message 2: by Chrissie (last edited Mar 15, 2016 11:02PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chrissie Thanks, Donna. For me the school teacher Morrie steals the show. Doig paints teachers well.

Of his fictional titles, English Creek, followed by Dancing at the Rascal Fair, are better. In my view This House of Sky: Landscapes of a Western Mind is most appealing if you have first read these so you see how he shaped the novels from his own life experiences. These three I have given four stars. No others.

I continued reading more and more of the series, but they go downhill. You can take only so much of the same thing. The stories are not challenging; you have to be in the right mood for them.