Eugenia (Genie In A Book)'s Reviews > The Rain

The Rain by Virginia Bergin

liked it
bookshelves: 2014-release, arc, dystopia

I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review

*This review also appears on the blog Chasm of Books*

In the case of this review, I'm just going to go right in and state the obvious: The Rain is pretty darn creepy. Set in our own time where the rainwater holds a deadly virus from an asteroid which got saved from hitting earth, the story follows the stream of consciousness of fifteen year old Ruby as she tackles with trying to realise that her life as she knew it had come to an end and danger lurked everywhere. While I found this novel to have an interesting concept and narrator who offered quite an honest perspective on the turn of events, there were a few issues I had with this book.

From the first few pages, The Rain ended up being something totally unexpected. While I expected some serious narration and a hard-hitting apocalyptic setting, I got Ruby fantasising over the guy she had a crush on and drinking some spiked punch at a party. No, the creepy element comes into play when everyone comes to realise just how deadly this rain is. The author did offer some explanation and world-building through Ruby's own flashbacks, which thankfully added some insight into what was going on since most of the time Ruby just went ahead as if everything made sense. It almost feels like at times she was speaking to another audience; which was an interesting technique on the writer's part. What I didn't understand was if the humans were so seriously affected by this disease then why weren't any of the animals? How did Ruby survive for so long with her immature mindset? These are things that I don't think I'll ever know.

Ruby herself acts like I suppose any average teenage girl stuck in an apocalypse would do - she attempts to cultivate a sense of the familiar. While I did find the conversational writing style endearing to a point, after a while Ruby going off on tangents and skirting around the point did get a bit irritating. The writing is of course a matter of preference, and while I wouldn't say it would appeal to everyone, it certainly added an interesting sense of reality to the destruction that was happening around her.

CONCLUSION

Overall, I'm on the fence with The Rain - some of the plot elements and narration did bother me at times, but its easy writing style and fascinating premise offered something different which may appeal to the younger YA audience who can relate to Ruby's whims in the midst of a disaster.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rain.

August 4, 2014 – Started Reading