Eugenia (Genie In A Book)'s Reviews > The Astrologer's Daughter

The Astrologer's Daughter by Rebecca Lim

bookshelves: arc, 2014-release

*This review also appears on the blog Chasm of Books*

I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review

The Astrologer's Daughter is a novel where mysterious elements and fascinating protagonist with an astrologer mother come together to produce something unique, and in some ways chilling. It as if the pieces of the story are drifting in a wide sea before slowly coming back together in order to reveal the truth. The astrological elements were quite interesting to read about, and aside from the main focus of the story there were a few sub-elements which added to its intricately woven nature. I haven't read any of Rebecca Lim's previous works, but after this I think I might give them a try.

As another author described it, this book does have elements of a 'mystery, thriller and love story'. While the budding romance could have potentially taken more of a centre stage, it was good to see that the main plot stayed true to its actual nature. The beautifully named Avicenna is forced to continue her mother's work after her disappearance, and learns more about her family history full of hidden secrets than she bargained for. Although I did find her character quite a complex one with conflicting emotional struggle, I can't say that I connected with her as much as I would have liked. Perhaps it is because I read this at the wrong time, but I do wish that I could empathise with her struggle more. The writing, although simplistic and lyrical didn't resonate with me to its fullest extent, although it did communicate the story in a fashion which made it easy to read.

I do have to say that the twist and ending threw me a bit, but not necessarily in a negative way. Yes, it didn't exactly go as I expected it to, but I felt that the last lines especially were quite fitting. The first and last sentences of a book can be the most special, and it gave me a feeling of completeness where some things had been left open. I suppose not tying up all of those loose ends leaves room to think about what could have been.

CONCLUSION

In conclusion, I did enjoy The Astrologer's Daughter, even with its few minor faults for me. If you have any interest in astrology or are just looking for a unique mystery story then this one could be for you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Astrologer's Daughter.

August 4, 2014 – Started Reading