Dark-Draco's Reviews > Sandworms Of Dune

Sandworms Of Dune by Brian Herbert

bookshelves: science-fiction-series, dune

I started reading the Dune books, in chronological order, back in February - so finally getting onto the last book was kind of exciting and a bit sad at the same time, mixed up with a bit of relief that I could get onto something else!

Anyway, I started reading the book and soon found myself swinging back and forth between disappointment and eagerness to find out how the story ends. The disappointment comes from the usual - these 'new' Dune novels are nowhere near as deep, well-written, or thought-out as the originals by Frank Herbert. Don't get me wrong, I really did enjoy reading this and was soon caught up in the story, but a slight nagging in the back of my head made me wonder if this was REALLY who Frank planned to end his epic.

One of the things that really bugged me, and which started in the previous book 'Hunters of Dune', was the big fuss about who the saboteurs were aboard the Ithaca - come on, anyone should have been able to spot that early on! When the big 'revelation' happens, I did sort of feel that I wanted to miss out a few pages, as the writers seemed to be taking great delight in trying to surprise me...

The actual development of the story was ok and I loved the fact that at long last, the pacing was faster and better. Space battles, invisible foes, rampaging Sandworms...all great. I liked the 'end' of Waff's story and the worms on Dune, a clever twist that did come as a surprise. And although I don't normally like the idea, I did quite revel in revisiting all the characters after the main climax, seeing how they were settling down to their new lives.

So, mixed feelings about this. If it had been a stand-alone series I think I would have liked it more, but building off the back of such great classic SF, I felt a bit disappointed. Still worth reading though, although I'm not sure if I'll be going to the effort of reading them all again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sandworms Of Dune.

August 4, 2014 – Started Reading