Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)'s Reviews > Angels' Blood

Angels' Blood by Nalini Singh

This is the first books of Nalini Singh's that I have read, and wow I have been missing out! I am glad to have found another author and series to get in to.

The book was about Rapheal the Archangel of New York City and Elena Deveraux a natural born Hunter whose job it is to hunt rogue vampires and bring them back to the angel who "owns" them. Her ability to sniff vampires out (quite literally) bring her to Rapheals attention as he needs her help tracking down a very difficult and angelic target. Thus the action begins.

What I really liked about this book was the world building, Singh's approach on vampires, angels and archangels was really good and original although the vampires were basically the same as other vampires in other books, the way they were created and their way of life was quite unique. Basically the power structure is: Archangels, Angels, Vampires and then us lowly Humans. The vampires are Made by the angels and have to sign a contract in blood pledging 100 years of service to that angel, with service basically being a euphemism for slavery. That was another point I quite liked, the angels weren't good, nor were they really evil either what they were was lethally cold, logical and selfish.

What I also really liked was the set of characters that had been created. I especially liked Elena's character, she was a strong feisty woman who would rather die then beg or grovel to anyone, including a certain arrogant, cold and drop dead gorgeous Archangel. She was also very compassionate, but practical enough not to let it get in the way of what she needs to do. Rapheal I wasn't so sure of at first as he was quite cold and merciless when you first meet him, I imagine if he was real he would scare the pants off me! But as the books progressed and he and Elena's relationship got closer and more intimate I began to like him a lot more, and now at the end although he is not my favourite hero I did really like him. I also liked the secondary characters in the book especially members of the Seven, a special set of totally loyal bodyguards that Rapheal keeps, and I am hoping that at some point Dmitri, Venom, Jason and Illium will get their own books. Also Sara from the novella in "Must Love Hellhounds" was also in this book.

So I highly recommend this book as it is really good, definately one to put on the keeper shelf.

August 2011 Re-read- I bumped this up to 5 stars I really enjoyed reading it this time round, I still haven't warmed up that much to Rapheal but Elena is still one of my favourite heroines and Dmitri, Venom and Illium are interesting characters, and it is even better now, knowing they will get their own books!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angels' Blood.

May 6, 2010 – Shelved
May 21, 2010 – Started Reading
May 21, 2010 –
page 268
79.06% "That is one sexy angel!"
May 22, 2010 –
October 20, 2010 – Shelved as: romance
December 16, 2010 – Shelved as: lover-the-cover
August 28, 2011 –
page 1
0.29% "Rereading this series in tie for the new book!"
August 29, 2011 –
page 164
48.38% "His lips curved. "Oh, this is a special blend for you." Taking one of the fingers she hadn't licked, he rubbed it along her lips. "What we usually shed is apparently comparable to the most delicious chocolates or the finest of wines. Decadent, rich and very expensive." "And this blend? What's so special about it?" "Thie blend," he murmured, bending his head, "is about sex.""
November 22, 2014 – Finished Reading

Regina Great review Suzanne -- is this UF or PNR?

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) Thanks : ) It is UF, I thought when I started reading it it was PNR, but it definately isn't. The second one is even better, you shoudl definately give them a shot!

Regina Cool thanks! I have the first psy book waiting for me at the library. I am excited to try this author.

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) The Psy series is great as well, althogh that on eis PNR. I think that this book has more polish the "Slave to Sensation" but then she has released quite a few books between them and she definately gets better with each book.

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Loved your review, Suzanne! I absolutely love this series. I jsut finished reading Angel's Judgement, the novella about Sara today. So amazing!

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) Thanks Annie : ) I have read that too, I love this whole series, it is fantastic! I can't wait for the next one to come out! Plus they have fab covers lol!

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Me too! And you're right. No ugly covers for this one! But hey, I've come to love the IAD book covers now. :)

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) I love the IAD covers, especially the first ones, they are so adorably cheesy and cute! Although I love everything about that series so I know I am completely bias!

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) I know what you mean now! At first I was hesistant to grab these books because of the covers, but now as I'm going through them, I love them to death!!

Regina I actualy have NOT read them due to the cover .....

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) OMG Regina!!!! You were just like me. But I am obsessed like a crazed woman over these books. I didn't think I would like them because of witches and whatever, but boy was I wrong. I'm a fool for not reading these earlier. Try it! You might like them! :)

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) You haven't read them Regina! *gasps* I can't believe it, if I had known sooner I would have hounded you until you picked them up! They are brilliant! GO get 'em straight away!

Regina Lol. Should I read IAD first, Dark Hunters or the Psy series first?

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) IAD! I haven't read the other two yet :)

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) IAD! Always IAD, then Psy and then Dark Hunters.

IAD is definitely the best series out of those, Dark Hunters can just get irritating and although I really like Psy-Changeling, IAD is much better. It has funny and quirky characters, a interesting world and plots, like Talisman Hie and Lachlain MacRieve : )

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) READ IN ORDER! I made the mistake of reading one out of order. Ooops.

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) Yes! Always read in order! (and get matching covers to!) lol

message 18: by Andi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Andi This was my first Nalini Singh book, and I have now read all three in this series and the first four of Psy-Changlings. I love her writing! Now, this is a dumb question, but you've gotten me curious about IAD. What's that stand for?

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) You have read Archangel's Consort (Guild Hunter, #3) by Nalini Singh? I didn't think that was out yet! I love her books aswell, I only discovered her recently so am excited to read all the book in the Psy series, like you I have onlly read teh first 4.

IAD, ohhhhh another IAD vigin LOL It stands for Immortals After Dark and is a PNR by Kresley Cole, they are fantastic! If you like the Psy series I think you shoudl like these, the books are:

A Hunger Like No Other (Immortals After Dark, #2) by Kresley Cole No Rest for the Wicked (Immortals After Dark, #3) by Kresley Cole Wicked Deeds on a Winter's Night (Immortals After Dark, #4) by Kresley Cole Dark Needs at Night's Edge (Immortals After Dark, #5) by Kresley Cole Dark Desires After Dusk (Immortals After Dark, #6) by Kresley Cole Kiss of a Demon King (Immortals After Dark, #7) by Kresley Cole Deep Kiss of Winter (Includes Immortals After Dark, #8; Alien Huntress, #5) by Kresley Cole Pleasure of a Dark Prince (Immortals After Dark, #9) by Kresley Cole Demon from the Dark (Immortals After Dark, #10) by Kresley Cole Dreams of a Dark Warrior (Immortals After Dark, #11) by Kresley Cole-out next year

There is also a prequel:

The Warlord Wants Forever (Immortals After Dark, #1) by Kresley Cole

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) You got Archangel's Consort? It's not released yet though! Unless you got an ARC and if you did, you are LUCKY!

And Suzanne is right. They are fantastic! Seriously. My new fave series. I actually just discoverd both these series recently. Love them both!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I loved this book, too. Great review of a great book!

Angela Carr (Under the Covers Book Blog) GREAT REVIEW BABE! but you didn't warm up to Raphael? The Alpha that he is? Oh good! More for me!

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) Lol! I didn't! I still haven't either really, it is one male we won't have to fight over lol!

Angela Carr (Under the Covers Book Blog) Hahaha. Thats the first. ;)

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) I know! You have Raphael and I will have Aodhan and Venom and maybe Jason : D

Angela Carr (Under the Covers Book Blog) Easy. I have to read the books. To meet them!

Angela Carr (Under the Covers Book Blog) I'm having a having a thing for dimitri.

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) I thought you had read them all so far? I need to get my claims in early so that none of you ho steal my men lmao!

Oh yes Dmitri is good! I didn't like him all that much until his book but I definitely like him more now : P

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) LOL! Which one? Dmitri?

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) Ohhhh, okay you can have Dmitri, as long as I get Aodhan I am a happy lady!

Maloup gr❤ΑηGELα❤ ~Lustful Lace~ wrote: "MINE!!!!!"

I'll fight you for him!! Lmao

Angela Carr (Under the Covers Book Blog) Claws coming out!!!! Lol
I don't mind a trade. Who you got? I'll give you Thurdays.

Galateea m(_ _)m finally a worthy review. Ok i'm being a liar. Finally an excellent, wonderful, exquisite review with an appropriate rating. Luved it wholeheartedly. Especially since i needed to read something genuine about this book after finishing another review of this book accompanied by a 1 star rating who almost made me foam at the mouth and go on a murdering rampage ヽ(`Д´)ノ ┻━┻ (in my brain, 1 stars means no plot, shitty characters and generally something better than a 1st grader’s notebook. Even more so because i read the book, stamped it wickedly awesome and added it in my imaginary gold temple for epic books. You highlighted all its best features in a way that made me want to reread it for the tenth time at least. (^O^)/ thanx again for the wonderful insight; u rock.