Trevor's Reviews > Under the Net

Under the Net by Iris Murdoch

Dec 08, 2007

bookshelves: literature
Read in January, 2005

I loved this book. A first person narrative about a young man on a picaresque quest for love and friendship, with a good healthy dose of philosophy added in for good measure.

The part of the story that stays with me is the story around Hugo. I think I liked most the idea that a friendship might end on the basis of an assumed betrayal and that the betrayal is one of the spirit and not one that occurred at all. Although, that is an interesting question in itself - does the person we feel we have betrayed have to feel betrayed to have been betrayed?

This is the only of Murdoch's books I've ever read, but will read more now after this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Under the Net.

03/05/2016 marked as: read

Cecily It was the first Murdoch I read as well, but although I enjoyed it, I think it's far from her best. If you do read others, you're in for a treat.

Trevor I keep meaning to read more. But other things get in the way

Cecily It's always good to have things to look forward to.

Meanwhile, I hope that some of the other things are pleasant diversions.

message 4: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael Thanks for this review--this has been haunting my bookshelves for a while now, demanding to be read. I can very highly recommend The Black Prince and The Sea, The Sea--both truly astounding novels.

message 5: by Nina (new) - added it

Nina Ive Yes, this has also been on my shelf for at least a decade. think it will go on the plan now. Thanks for the review

Trevor It is such a long time since I read this - but I remember really enjoying it. It is hard to know why I haven't read more of her novels, I have The Sea, The Sea, but have never quite gotten to it