Cindy's Reviews > Veil of Roses

May 06, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: 2010
Read from May 06 to 10, 2010

** spoiler alert ** A classic fish-out-of-water tale, Veil of Roses tells the story of Tamila, a young Iranian woman who comes to the United States on a tourist visa to visit her sister and hopefully find an Iranian ex-pat to marry so she can stay in the country.

While I cannot comment on how well Laura Fitzgerald portrays the cultural norms and political tendencies of Iran because I am simply not well informed on the subject matter, I think most people will find Tamila's forays into American culture amusing. Imagine what it would be like for you to go shopping at Victoria's Secret for the first time, or taking your first trip to Starbucks. Both retail outlets are ubiquitous in this country and we probably take them for granted, but for someone from overseas that comes from a more restricted background, these things probably seem outrageous. :)

I didn't like the heavy emphasis on marriage in this book and Tamila's two Iranian suitors were irritating and unappealing for different reasons. It was very predictable that she ended up marrying Ike in the end, the American boy she meets at her first Starbucks trip.

I think it would have been nice if the characters from Tamila's English class could have been developed more - surely there was more to tell about Eva, Josef, Agata, Edgard, and Nadia. For me, this lack of character development was a bit of a disappointment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Veil of Roses.

05/06/2010 page 30