Melissa's Reviews > The Real Thing

The Real Thing by Cassie Mae

Aug 03, 2014

bookshelves: favorites

Review can also be found on my blog: http://melissa-reads-books.blogspot.b...

ARC provided through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

"I think only bookworms understand the kind of power stories can have on a person," she says.

I finally made time to read this book and oh man, it was so worth it. I loved it so much. In most of the contemporary books the girl has the problem and the guy is the bad boy who changes completely when he meets the girl. This book was very refreshing because for once it was the boy and the girl who were struggling with something and they both didn't change for each other. They stayed true to their selves and adapt their lives to be able to live more comfortably. To be able to connect with each other without forgetting who they really are. That's what I loved about this book.

"People change, you know. They grow, they shrink, they bald, they get zits, they wrinkle. But each person is attractive in their own way, and they're attractive to someone else."

I loved both characters, so the switch between the two POV's was very nice.
Eric struggles with anxiety and Mia (also a booknerd) with a social media obsession. They are best friends and they are both in love with each other, but without knowing it. The storyline feels very real and Cassie did an amazing job at describing how they felt. I was completely sucked into their world and felt everything they did. I couldn't put this book down.

"I don't understand love completely but I know as I stare at his broken and hungry eyes, it's not lust that drives me. It's love."

This is also the first book I read from Cassie Mae and it certainly won't be the last! I love her writing style and I can't wait to read more from her!

"I can't tell if I hear your heart beating, or if it's mine," I say against his skin. His fingers glide over my shoulder, then trail down to my elbow.
"Aren't they the same thing?" he says.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Real Thing.

Quotes Melissa Liked

Cassie Mae
“Dedicated to anyone who has weaknesses, and finds the strength to overcome them.”

Cassie Mae
“People change, you know. They grow, they shrink, they bald, they get zits, they wrinkle. But each person is attractive in their own way, and they’re attractive to someone else.

No matter how much you change out here”—she motions to, well, all of me—“I’ll always find you attractive because of the person you are in here.”

Cassie Mae
“I can't tell if I hear your heart beating, or if it's mine," I say against his skin.
"Aren't they the same thing?”

Cassie Mae
“I think only bookworms understand the kind of power stories can have on a person”

August 3, 2014 – Shelved
August 3, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
August 24, 2014 – Started Reading
August 25, 2014 –
page 113
August 25, 2014 –
page 178
75.74% "I can't stop reading... I'm in book Heaven right now."
August 25, 2014 – Finished Reading