Shel's Reviews > The Magic of Recluce

The Magic of Recluce by L.E. Modesitt Jr.

liked it
bookshelves: kindle-owned, fantasy, beyond-reality-discussions, read-in-2015

Mixed feelings about this one. I enjoyed the worldbuilding and the story, but there were definitely some annoying aspects of the book that kept my rating at three stars. I generally am not a fan of first-person narration, unless it's done really well (Robin Hobb is a master, for example), and Modesitt's writing is passable but nothing special. One of the limitations of first person narratives is, of course, that the reader only can know what the narrator knows; Modesitt got around this by including several random third-person interludes to explain events happening elsewhere, and they just didn't fit. I think they also were not entirely necessary and the book would have read much more smoothly had the author found a different way to convey the information.

The other major irritation were the constant sound effects. At least every few paragraphs started with a Yeee-aaahh.... or crreakkkkk... or some other such annoyance. Really, really annoying.

All that said, it was an enjoyable story, with an interesting take on the balance between Order and Chaos, and I'm glad I read it. I don't think I'll be picking up the rest of the series, though.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magic of Recluce.

August 3, 2014 – Shelved
August 3, 2014 – Shelved as: fantasy
August 3, 2014 – Shelved as: kindle-owned
August 3, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
May 15, 2015 – Started Reading
May 15, 2015 – Shelved as: beyond-reality-discussions
May 21, 2015 – Shelved as: read-in-2015
May 21, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim Interesting that I feel the opposite between the 2 authors writing. I've only read one trilogy of Hobb's (Soldier Son) & almost all of Modesitt's books.

Shel Jim wrote: "Interesting that I feel the opposite between the 2 authors writing. I've only read one trilogy of Hobb's (Soldier Son) & almost all of Modesitt's books."

The Soldier Son trilogy is good, but I don't think it's Hobb's best - try the Farseer trilogy for that :)