Robin (Bridge Four)'s Reviews > The Winter King

The Winter King by C.L. Wilson

bookshelves: 4-5-stars, adorable-alphas, chick-i-want-to-hang-out-with, chocolate-pms-day-reads, fantastic-fantasy, kick-ass-heroines, sexy, romantasy, bb-b-2017, buddy-read
Recommended to Robin by: Kira
Read 2 times. Last read December 16, 2017 to December 25, 2017.

Romantasy!!! It is my favorite genre loved my reread with my friends at Buddies Books and Baubles

Original Review Aug 2014

Finally!!! A great Adult High Fantasy with both a wonderful romance and fantastic plot/world this is two of my favorite genre’s combined.

The Story - Wynter the king of Wintercraig was betrayed by his fiancé and the Falcon the Prince of Summerlea. Wynter in his sadness took in a powerful magic that could destroy him and plunged both countries into war. Now three years later he has won the war but may have lost his heart and soul to the ancient power he used to do it. He has one chance, the birth of a child might save his ever colder growing heart. Time is running short and if he loses himself to the Ice Heart within an ancient power will rise and it could destroy everyone in the lands.
 photo white-walker_zps49612b19.jpg
Wynter takes a Princess of Summerlea as his prize of war to be his wife, now he just needs to get her pregnant but that is easier said than done and time is running short.

The Romance - As heroes go Wynter is right on the border for me. By his deeds he was kind to his new wife even if his words weren’t always warm and tender. He is forever fighting with the power within him and it leaves him slightly cold to Khamsin at times.

The reasons I love the romantic couple are that they are both so broken and alone, but for completely different reasons. Khamsin never accepted by her family wants to desperately to find some kind of comfort and companionship but is so headstrong that she sometimes shots herself in the foot. Wynter has lost his entire family and greatly wants one of his own but finds it so hard to trust anyone. But there is an undeniable physical attraction between the two of them and eventually that tries to grow into something more. Both are very insecure in their own ways but somehow being together makes them stronger people.

Things I loved - I adored Khamsin from the beginning. She was easy to like as she was headstrong and fierce, plus she never whines. After living with the hatred of her father for so long and never fitting in I really wanted her to find that happily ever after.

I liked that there wasn’t an instant love. There was attraction and lust but the actual friendship and feelings between the pair took time. They are alike in many ways and share a deep loneliness and longing for family. Wynter could be a harsh ass at times but there were also moments when he was extremely tender with Khamsin and those of coarse are the moment I liked the most.

“Then come to your bath. Accept my care, as you swore you would. Offer me the fruits of your life, that I may dine once more on peace instead of war.”

Wynter is not perfect, far from. He is quick to temper and often comes across harshly as he is trying to protect himself from ever being hurt again. But I like that he isn’t perfect and I respected that everyone in the land knew how cruel he was capable of being. He did start a war to avenge his family so I thought it would be out of character if he were perfect. He can be ruthless and will be to protect those in his charge.

“Do you honestly think something as flimsy as a signed piece of paper and a marriage ceremony would have stayed his hand had he not wanted you for his bride? Wynter would have parted your head from your shoulders, taken all three of your sisters as concubines, slaughtered everyone else involved in the deception, and frozen the whole of Vera Sola on the spot. After ripping your father’s entrails from his still-living body and calling the snow wolves to feast upon them, of course.”

But he is still extremely likeable and easy to root for.

The setting and magic of the weathermages was also a draw for me. Wintercraig seemed to be a winter wonderland of sorts and I loved how Khamsin and Wynters magic worked together to feed into and calm one another’s magic.

photo icecastle_zpsecb52b2e.jpg

The threat of Rojak returning was the main big bad and that is the story line I enjoyed the most. His army of frozen acolytes seemed a lot like white walkers from Game of Thrones with an added huge abominable snow beasts and I’m sold.

Lastly I liked the introduction of Dily. Even though we didn’t see him until about 93% of the way in, I liked getting a glimpse of the future hero in the next boo set in this world and want to know so much more about the Sea People

The Sealord smiled. “This offer is most generous, myerina, to be sure, but why would I or my men sacrifice the certainty of a liana now for the possibility of a liana later?”
“Trust me, none of you would want an unwilling Summerlea or Wintercraig wife.”
“Ah, but any liana of a Calbernan would not be unwilling for long.”
The way he said it sent an unmistakably erotic shiver up Khamsin’s body. If she weren’t irrevocably in love with her own Winterman, she might actually have considered throwing down her sword and taking Merimydion up on his offer.

The Problems - Too many bad guys and obstacles. At some point in this book I thought ‘seriously, again’. It just seemed our couple could not catch a break for anything. While I did enjoy the drama I was of the opinion that maybe some of them could have been cut and possibly streamlined. I think there were three or four different ‘bad guys’ in this and then the big threat as well. It just seemed a little much at times.

Overall - This was such a fun story full of the girlie romantic stuff I like and the High Fantasy world, magic, culture and intrigue that I adore. It was really a win-win for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Winter King.

August 2, 2014 – Shelved
August 2, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
August 7, 2014 – Started Reading
August 8, 2014 –
12.0% "The King is such a fucking bastard. I hope he dies a horribly death."
August 8, 2014 –
30.0% ""Come to you bath. Accept my care, you swore you would. Offer me the fruits of your life, that I may dine once more on peace instead of war.\n \n I did like how Wynter stood up for Storm to her father. But he still has a long way to go."
August 8, 2014 –
40.0% "I hate Reika Villani. Also anyone else thing that something is up with the tea being bitter I have some suspicions about that.\n \n Heads may roll *crosses fingers*"
August 9, 2014 –
55.0% "Wynter you idiot. Storm will not be pleased.\n \n So far I hate Reika, love Laci she seems very cool and Krysti is a cute companion."
August 9, 2014 –
66.0% "I knew it!!! grrr, so many people are plotting against them."
August 9, 2014 –
70.0% "No!!!! Don't trust her have we not learned anything. Lol...I got suckered too, no worries."
August 10, 2014 –
93.0% "Dily!!! There you are. O.o I am very excited for your book."
August 13, 2014 – Shelved as: 4-5-stars
December 16, 2017 – Shelved as: romantasy
December 25, 2017 – Shelved as: bb-b-2017
December 25, 2017 – Shelved as: buddy-read
December 25, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)

message 1: by Navessa (new) - added it

Navessa Sold. Romance AND fantasy? Do want.

message 2: by Sandra (new) - added it

Sandra I put this under my radar with Kira's review. Now with yours I'm sold. That's what it takes. You see, I used to be harder to convince.;)

message 3: by Sandra (new) - added it

Sandra BTW, have been checking out your chocolate-pms-day-reads shelve and it's as good as chocolate gets, for sure.

Robin (Bridge Four) Navessa wrote: "Sold. Romance AND fantasy? Do want."

Wynter was right on the border for me sometimes but he never hurts Khamsin or degrades her or anything like that he just has a lot of trust issues.

Robin (Bridge Four) Sandra wrote: "I put this under my radar with Kira's review. Now with yours I'm sold. That's what it takes. You see, I used to be harder to convince.;)"

For me Kira and then Ya both liked it and then I saw Jessica's review too so I was totally all in after that.

message 6: by Navessa (new) - added it

Navessa BWAH HA HA, EXACTLY!!! There isn't nearly enough sex in fantasy.

Robin (Bridge Four) Navessa wrote: "BWAH HA HA, EXACTLY!!! There isn't nearly enough sex in fantasy."

Especially in high fantasy. Sure I can fill in the blanks in a fade to black scene but....I really like the details.

message 8: by Navessa (last edited Aug 13, 2014 09:56AM) (new) - added it

Navessa Samesies.

*fistbump*

message 9: by Sandra (new) - added it

Sandra The usual deadly boring High Fantasy travels among realms would be much more fan with a little bit of steam!

message 10: by -ya (new) - rated it 4 stars

-ya Awesome review, Robin! I liked this book more than her Tairen Soul series:) (view spoiler)

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Yay! I'm so glad you liked it. I was worried, b/c it was a really fine line for me too--I thought there were too many bad guys/obstacles as well. But you know I'll be lining up for The Sea King when it comes out ;) Great review, Robin!

Robin (Bridge Four) Jessica (Rabid Reads) wrote: "Yay! I'm so glad you liked it. I was worried, b/c it was a really fine line for me too--I thought there were too many bad guys/obstacles as well. But you know I'll be lining up for The Sea King whe..."

Totally with you on the Sea King I loved Dily and is it wrong but I totally want him with (view spoiler)

Also crossing fingers for the equally cheesy cover that we talked about.

Robin (Bridge Four) ~亞~Ya~亞 wrote: "Awesome review, Robin! I liked this book more than her Tairen Soul series:) [spoilers removed]"

Ya that is totally one of the reasons I decreased a star the only things I didn't like were that and too many bad guys.

Still I totally enjoyed the story and Wynter really wasn't all the bad. He always protected her.

message 14: by -ya (new) - rated it 4 stars

-ya I agreed with you about the bad guys showing up everywhere. Too stressful for me. I liked that Wynter protected her, but (view spoiler)

Robin (Bridge Four) Ah yes I almost wondered if (view spoiler)

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Yay! I'm so glad you liked it!! I agree that there were WAY too many bad guys and it dragged a bit, but overall CL Wilson is one of my favorites when it comes to fantasy romance. I would rather have too much plot than not enough. Great review Robin!

Robin (Bridge Four) Thanks Kira, and thanks to you for putting it on my Radar. I really loved the Romance/Fantasy but yeah she probably could have cut maybe 100 pages or so but it got so intense once they were fighting the Garm...I had to read fast to see what would happen.

message 18: by Kim (new) - added it

Kim  *Mo Chridhe* Robin wrote: "RIGHT!!! Sometimes I'm in the middle of a great fantasy book and I'm like "You know what would make this even better? SEX."

THIS.

I loved the author's Tairen Soul series so she's definitely an auto-buy author now. But yeah, I wish fantasy-romance has more steam. It really suits the feel of these types of books.

message 19: by Shelley (new) - added it

Shelley Great review, buy WHY does this author pick such BAD covers??? I really liked the Tairen Soul series, but cringed at those covers too. Thanks, I will look past the cover and pick this up!

Robin (Bridge Four) Shelley wrote: "Great review, buy WHY does this author pick such BAD covers??? I really liked the Tairen Soul series, but cringed at those covers too. Thanks, I will look past the cover and pick this up!"

Thanks Shelley

The cover is a little awful isn't it. But now I want the rest of them in this series to be cheesily bad.

We discussed it at length here. https://www.goodreads.com/user_status...

Athena Shardbearer I WANT THIS!!!

Robin (Bridge Four) Athena (Shardbearer) wrote: "I WANT THIS!!!"

Athena Shardbearer Robin wrote: "Athena (Shardbearer) wrote: "I WANT THIS!!!"

ATHENA YOU SHOULD GET THIS!!! The audio of it was decent too. Not fantastic but pretty good."

Ok...I'm getting it.

Britney (BookDrunkSloth) Romantasy??? I love the term!! I think I will steal it❤ Have you read The Sea King yet? I liked it a lot as well:)

Robin (Bridge Four) Britney (BookDrunkSloth) wrote: "Romantasy??? I love the term!! I think I will steal it❤ Have you read The Sea King yet? I liked it a lot as well:)"

not yet. I read this forever ago and wanted a refresher before starting it.