Carin's Reviews > Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk: A Modest Bestiary

May 05, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: animals, humor, short-stories
Read from October 14 to 15, 2015

Now I love David Sedaris. I've been to see him 4 or 5 times (so many I've lost track!) in 3 different cities. I have read all of his books of essays. Until this one. Because it wasn't essays--it was stories. At the last reading I went to, he did read a couple from this books, and I was underwhelmed. But David Sedaris is an author for whom I am a completist, and since I am trying to read #15in31 this month and the book is short, I figured this was the time to give it a shot.

And it's okay. Several of the stories are punny. Several more are kind of gross. In some, the animals are very anthropomorphized so it's odd when they haven't heard of something fairly normal ("jazz?") Some are aggressive, others are cheerfully ignoring their instincts. The book is fun and slight and perfect for a light afternoon when you're in the mood for something inconsequential and not thought provoking. Nothing ticked me off or annoyed me, although I may have rolled my eyes a couple of times at the puns. It was enjoyable, but not his best.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk.

10/14/2015 marked as: currently-reading