Leah's Reviews > The Maze Runner

The Maze Runner by James Dashner

it was ok

Rating: 2 of 5

Dystopia-light. Best suited for middle graders or teens under 14 with little to no previous exposure to the genre. I suspect it was written to attract the attention of film and/or TV studios.

Meh. The beginning chapters wasted too much time on the unknown, asking the same questions repeatedly, giving nothing. Thomas was sickeningly good. (The best heroes are always flawed; apparently, not that sixteen year old boy.) The other characters - all male - were interchangeable and forgettable. The obligatory female, Teresa, was thrown into the mix but with no real effect. She mainly served as a way to introduce (view spoiler), which was not as cool as it could have been. The middle pages were filled with fluff, plot holes, more questions, convenient answers, and fake suspense. When a big shock was delivered (view spoiler) I wasn't the least bit worried for any of the Gladers. How could I be? (view spoiler) As for the climax and the epilogue, well, both were underwhelming and predictable. The whole story was better suited for film than literature and, like I already stated, I believe that was the author's intent.

No interest in reading the sequels or prequel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Maze Runner.

August 2, 2014 – Started Reading