Jennie's Reviews > Dead in the Family

Dead in the Family by Charlaine Harris

May 05, 2010

liked it
Read in May, 2010

** spoiler alert ** I didn't realize Amazon would ship my pre-order so quickly - whoops. So much for studying for my last three finals yesterday!

This book starts right out with Sookie and Eric already in a relationship - now, while they were heading that way during the last book, and were certainly "married," it seemed slightly preemptive to just jump in. I mean, I've been waiting for this for 9 books! Why must you deny me, Charlaine?

Oh well. Disregarding that complaint, I quite liked this one - there wasn't a lot of "action" right up until the end of the book, when suddenly all the loose ends were tied up. Harris explores all the family relationships between the characters, which was enjoyable. (I particularly loved Claude trying to explain how he, Sookie, and Hunter were related.) The character development was gratifying; there was significant growth shown in Jason, Eric, Tara, Hunter, Remy, and Pam, among others.

While I thought the last book wasn't that great (I thought it lacked focus, and the fairy element was reaching a bit), this one made up for it - purely enjoyable mind-candy, with a couple nods to the True Blood series. And in the end, Charlaine Harris on a bad day is still southern-fried supernatural goodness, so there wasn't any way I wasn't going to read this book.

Now, back to studying...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead in the Family.

Carolyn Ann I'm curious, which parts of the books do you think acknowledge True Blood? I am a religious True Blood and Sookie books fan, but I think starting the 2nd season, the show stopped following the books, and started developing it's own characters and story lines. I did'nt pick up on any nods to true blood, so im dying (lol) to know, what did i miss!?!?!?!

Carolyn Ann Also, I was really disappointed by this book, it was somewhat boring compared to the others, do you think that the True Blood stories are having an effect on Charlaine Harris's ability to keep on the same track she started this series on?

Jennie Carolyn wrote: "I'm curious, which parts of the books do you think acknowledge True Blood? I am a religious True Blood and Sookie books fan, but I think starting the 2nd season, the show stopped following the book..."

The one I remember right off-hand is that she mentioned Jace Everett's "Bad Things" was playing in Merlotte's, which is the True Blood theme. ;)

I don't know if True Blood is affecting her ability to continue writing in the same vein, or if she's just exhausted most of her planned storylines. I hope it's just a slump, because the first 5-6 were so good.