Ojo Oim's Reviews > Meditations on the Tarot: A Journey into Christian Hermeticism

Meditations on the Tarot by Anonymous

M 50x66

bookshelves: currently-reading

This isn't a tarot reference book but an extended meditation, an open-ended pondering of the symbols of the major arcana. The nameless author writes letters to us as to an Unknown Friend, considering the art of a divine kind of magic, various difficulties and temptations in esoteric studies and philosophy. The author seems to regard himself as a Christian Hermeticist, I'm not sure what that means but it seems to be something like a philosopher, a lover of Christ and wisdom, and a point the author returns to again and again, engaged in a process of evolution, of becoming. Actually in the index Henri Bergson maybe has more listings than any other name, including Rudolf Steiner, who was the author's teacher at one time. He shares with Bergson an interest in evolutionary spirituality, a moving and growing spirituality.

There is a wonderful beauty about this book and about the way the author thinks. Anthroposophist talk about a "living" kind of thinking, and this book exemplifies such a way (as well as I can tell). He clearly has a point of view, which I don't all the time agree with. For example, his critique of Advaita Vedanta is that the adherent loses the ability to cry. A curious and touching observation, but which I don't think is necessarily true. He goes further into the mystery of tears in his discussion of the Temperance card, how the Rose Cross is a symbol of this mystery. Still, our disagreements are not unbearable; the spirit of friendship overwhelms particular ideas and points, and the flow of thought itself is very agreeable.

When I bought this book, the kind white haired gentleman at Trident bookstore said that this book had given him much inspiration over the years. His memory and words are part of the warmth of this book for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Meditations on the Tarot.

May 5, 2010 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Echo (new) - added it

Echo Emptiness There are a lot of interesting people at Trident...I like to have a cup of coffee and to read there :-)

message 2: by Ojo (last edited Jan 09, 2015 09:20AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ojo Oim Echo wrote: "There are a lot of interesting people at Trident...I like to have a cup of coffee and to read there :-)"

Yes, me too. I was back in Boulder for an afternoon last year and that was one of the places I was sure to visit.

You are reading Meditations on the Tarot?